User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retro-fitting ford music system

Thanks

Retro-fitting ford music system

Have acquired a ford 2007 RDS stereo, 2050 cd head unit, amp and 10 disc cd changer plus the harness that connects them, these came out of a 95 mondeo and i want to fit them to my 91 sapphire cosworth, problem i have is the plugs dont seem to correspond to the units although they appear to be the same type, anyone done a similiar install or have any idea how everything should be connected, i'm lost

World Champion Decade Plus User andy's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Retro-fitting ford music system

well it will be one or the other that you use, you cant have two head units controlling a cd changer, try and use just one of them with the changer, it might be the case that the connectors in your saff are a diiferent style to the ones from the mondeo, go to a car audio place and they should be able to sort you out with all the plugs and connectors you need, autoleads make all of this stuff FYI

hth

Thanks

Sorry mate, you've misunderstood , All 80's and 90's fords run two units, a stereo and an amp, the 2007 rds is a radio cassette player, the 2050 cd unit controls the 10 disc changer both units fit into the dash and an amp is mounted behind, all 4 of these units are connected by a harness . My problem isn't connecting them together its connecting them to the cosworths existing plugs which are slightly different , this 4 unit set up is a complete kit made by sony for ford and fitted to many top of the line mondeos, galaxy's etc of the 90's , i had hoped that someone would have fitted a similiar system to their own RS in the past and be able to point me in the right direction

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Buy the plug for the back of the double din head unit, and wire it to your existing wires, or like an estatement said you may be able to get plugs made up so that you dont have to cut your standard ones off.

World Champion Decade Plus User

Thanks

another alternative would be to go to a scrappy and cut out the plugs you need and make your own cable for it.

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Of course slim!! That would be the budget version with a million dangly wires out the back Sounds like a plan

World Champion Decade Plus User

Thanks

Of course slim!! That would be the budget version with a million dangly wires out the back Sounds like a plan
    yup thats the one

Thanks

You would think that ford would anticipate that people would eventually attempt to fit newer music systems to older vehicles and would have made adaptor crossovers, the last thing i want to do is start hacking away at my loom, i would rather leave the original stereo in place than do that

World Champion Decade Plus User andy's Avatar

Thanks

buy a sapphire male plug with flying leads and a mondeo/galaxy female with flying leads and splice them together

+ Reply to Thread