User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: replacing front speakers in a 3 door cossie

Bodger

Thanks

replacing front speakers in a 3 door cossie

has anyone replaced the front speakers in a 3 door cossie.want to put some good quality ones in to replace the tinny sounding ones

Bodger

Thanks

Re: replacing front speakers in a 3 door cossie

i had mids in the front of my 3 door, didnt want to mess the door cards up by cutting big holes in them so i build some moulding to sit on the inner side of the dash, was abit tight but was the only place to put them.
    how big r the speakers?
    il get some pics if i can...

Bodger

Thanks

havnt bought any yet just wondered if u can put any decent ones into the orig location..pics wld be great

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

What size are the speakers what are originally in. u can always put in a better same size speaker, wich will handle alot more power, but uprating the speaker, and u will need to feed it more power then u will tell the difference, i.e running amps. If u just but the same size speaker in but a better one u will tell a little difference in sound quality. but if its loud u want then, u are best putting a speaker in that will handle alot of power, eg 250 watt, then u would have to putt around 130 watt into it.

Bodger

Thanks

still cant find any pics, i had 4 mids and tweets in the front, 1 set of pioneers and 1 set of infinity, if uve got a decent head uni then u can easilt power the speaker, i had an alpine 60x4 and they are great systems, excellend sound quality and very good signals to amps, wud recommend but was abit of a pain as i also had a tv running so kept switchin between systems.
    my speakers in the front were 5 inch ones, tweeters were stuck on the sun visors, crossovers stuck behind dashboard

make sure, if u do upgrade your speakers that u go for something good, as the small original speaker size will mean a new small speaker, try a coaxial speaker, and if u wanted a small amp runnig them make sure u get a powerfull speaker

Mechanic

Thanks

i've got a set of alpine componant's in the front of mine, there bigger than standard and were a tight fit but it was worth it! there were no speakers in the front when i got it but i'm sure that it sounds better that a standard set!!

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

i have jbl gto in the front of mine in the orig place in the dash i think they are 4" or 4 1/2 ".

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Pics would be good mate, I tried fitting 6x9's but to no avail, would be good if someone could remake the pods to fit 13's instead of 10's, basically the original sits in a 10cm plastic cone arrangement, would be great to have same design but with 13cm speakers in their place.

Any ideas will be great, foto's especially.

CheeRS

Dean

Mechanic

Thanks

i don't think you've got any chance of getting 6x9's in there, i manged to make us some adapter rings that screw straight in to the original screw holes and then mount the speaker onto the rings, i've got 13cm's in there with tweeters on the dash and the crossovers are just tucked away.

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

pjay any chance of some pics want to keep the interior orig so dont want to start cutting the door cards.didnt think the tinny sound would bother me but it does.have put some 6x9 in rear but the ford amp wont run them if i switch all to one speaker the fine try and run 4 and its back to tinny sound..what did u make the adaptor ring out of...where in herts are u

Mechanic

Thanks

made the adaptor rings out of 9 mm mdf, no modifications to the cars panels are needed. i've just thrown em in the bin as i've started to strip the car and want to re make them a bit tidier for next time. i'm near hoddesdon, where are you?

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

nr heathrow..what size and model no were the alpines u fitted
    how easy was it to get the trim of did u remove the panels

Mechanic

Thanks

the alpines were 13cm's don't know the model number off hand. i removed the panel on the drivers side as this is easy to get out and then measured up and made the 2 adapter rings the n/s had to be fitted from behind the dash but the o/s can be fitted to the panel and then replaced.

Take out the driver side panel.

using 9mm mdf and the templates that are on the box of the speakers mark round the outside of the template and drill pilot holes in the location of the screw holes.

measure the width between the screw holes on the dash panel and the the diameter of the original speaker hole and then drill pilot holes for the screw holes and countersink and cut out the hole.

You should now be left with a ring with 8 pilot holes and a hole in the middle, don't forget you've got to make one for each side.

Screw the ring to the original panel making sure the screws are flush with your adapter ring and then screw the speakers to the back of the ring.

you can seal with silicone if you wish. this is about the only way to get larger speakers into the standard location without modifying the panels. the adapter rings will block a small amount of sound coming from the larger speakers but they will sound better than the originals by far.

Hope this helps

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

thanks for info p jay are u about to try something different as u say u have thrown the rings away now..might have to put some in the doors if i cant get a good sound

Mechanic

Thanks

dont butcher the doors, you'll find them very hard to replace if you ever wanted to!!! yeah i'm going to try to make some rings the same as above but with the centre hole cut to and angle to allow more sound through, it sounded good with the rings made as above but i'm just wondering if it will make it any better, possibly not but i might as well try! i'd modify the mounts behind the dash before the doors at least that way nobody will ever see it!!

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

i wouldnt make holes in the door cards also, hence the speaker mouldings but cant seem to find any pics of them, i did have 2 kenwood 6x9s and 2 kenwood 7x10s on the rear shelf, all amped up and was really loud. for a while i had nothing in the front, still sounded very good though, but it really depends as i had a large install so my back speakers were running on HPF (high pass filter) making them loud, and they were also very clear so i didnt really feel teh need for front speakers, i only put some in cus i got them cheap

Mechanic

Thanks

i'd always run speakers in the front as it gives a higher quality of sound and better sound staging, having all the sound coming from behind your head just doesn't feel right.

MYP, where abouts are ya mate?

PJay

Bodger

Thanks

heres a pic of my back shelf

i would agree, sound from the front is much better than just from the rear

Bodger

Thanks

pjay i am in middx near heathrow

World Champion Decade Plus User andy's Avatar

Thanks

you know what ive never understood, why do people install their speakers without the grills, they look so much better than sharp edges and screws with ripped up heads, grills provide protection and they also make cleaning a lot more easier just my opinion

Pole Position Decade Plus User Threedoorboy's Avatar

Thanks

Its lighter that way mate. you can get a better 1/4 time while listening to van morrison

Bodger

Thanks

i bought my speakers off a mate who had no grills, although i would prefer them with to have grills

+ Reply to Thread