User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: v6 cologne eec-v not grounding injectors

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

v6 cologne eec-v not grounding injectors

Hi guys,

I've got a cobra kitcar from a friend with a 2.9v6 cologne
    The car had troubles with electrics because somebodywired it up al wrong causing it to melt most of the wiring (nothing related to engine management though i think.
    So anyhow i took out al the electrics and started doing them all again beginning with the engine.
    Now the problem is the engine wont fire up.
    I've got spark. And fuel pressure. I've got ground at injectors with contact off and no ground with contact on. So the ecu is able to control that. I've got 12v at injectors while ignition is on and when i'm cranking. While cranking the eec-v turns on the fuel pump. So it knows the engine is spinning so the distributor and its module and its wiring to the ecu are ok, right?
    Now why wont the eec-v control the injectors? Any ideas? Is the eec-v broken?

Thanks for help in advance guys!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: v6 cologne eec-v not grounding injectors

I wired it according to original Ford wiring scheme.
    And the donor was a 1989 sierra btw!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Little update. I got my hands on a 2.4 ecu. Engine fired up directly! So i went and got another 2.9 ecu since 2.4 and 2.9 wiring diagrams are exactly the same so it was logic to me that the 2.9 ecu probably was broken. But it still wont fire..
    Anyone? Please? All help is greatly appreciated... This car is seriously giving me a headache

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

The ECU of a 1989 Sierra will be an EEC4, not EEC5.
    Wiring of a 2.4 and a 2.9 from a Sierra is different.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi. Thanks for your reply
    Yeah the eec-v is my bad. All of them are eec-iv. Wiring is the same. Ford only supplies 1diagram for both 2.4 and 2.9

An ex-colleague of mine did just point out that the 2.4 ecu's i have are earlier production dates then the 2.9 ecu's
    The only difference is that the early 2.4 ecu's probably dont take notice of the lambda sensors. So i'll try and disconnect thofirst and see what that gives me

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

At least in Sweden there are two generations of the EEC-IV 2.9, one has only one lambda sensor, the other has two. There is also the non-lambda controlled 2.9 (with AFMs) unless I'm mistaken. So some care might be needed to get the right combination of wiring and ECU.

Gustaf

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hfcworks@gmail.com View Post
    Hi. Thanks for your reply
    Yeah the eec-v is my bad. All of them are eec-iv. Wiring is the same. Ford only supplies 1diagram for both 2.4 and 2.9

An ex-colleague of mine did just point out that the 2.4 ecu's i have are earlier production dates then the 2.9 ecu's
    The only difference is that the early 2.4 ecu's probably dont take notice of the lambda sensors. So i'll try and disconnect thofirst and see what that gives me
    Disconnecting the lambda's will not make any difference.
    As Gustaf stated also the early 2.9V6 engines of a Sierra are different to the later ones used in the Scorpio. Later 2.9 and 2.4 engines use the same wiring.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

hi guys,
    i got the car running, disconnected the map sensor and it fired right up... so i threw it away and went out to look for another one.
    i found 3 old ones on which the car runs, but not as it should as a test drive pointed out. the car was boggy and didn't actually feel like it had any power...
    i have no idea of which cars the sensors came off but one 2 of them it runs ok and revs ok but it smokes like hell, on the other one it runs leaner but misfires from time to time. now stupid as i am and threw away the old one i have no partno. to search for another one. any of you guys running a 2.9 cologne willing to share the partno. of the sensor please?
    i have changed the spark plugs, the leads, the rotor, and ditstributor just to make sure none of that are bugging me :-)

i was also thinking of replacing the pcv valve because there isn't much spring action left in the valve, which there should right? dont think that could cause my misery though.

also i adjusted the valve clearance, because i checked that and there was literally not a single valve that had any clearance. i was surprised the engine even ran. underneath the valve covers was a nasty surprise
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20150126_212423.jpg Views:	19 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	73531Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20150126_212523.jpg Views:	19 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	73532

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

that sticky mess under the valve covers is how i remember most colonge v6's to be, most caused by poor breathing and infrequent oil changes

+ Reply to Thread