User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to identify Megajolt lite jr type, tps or map?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

How to identify Megajolt lite jr type, tps or map?

Hi all,
    have recently bought a blacktop zetec that came with a Megajolt lite jr as part of the package but I don't know and seller couldn't tell me if is map type or tps type, it has a stub on ecu housing so am guessing its a map one but how can you tell for sure?

it didn't come with any disc, not sure if is programmed for zetec or not, am planning on fitting bike carbs, which are best for standard engine, as going to be a cost effective build not no expense spared type lol.have seen 600 carbs from about £50 but R1 ones appear to be about £200?

i got a inlet manifold kit with the engine, base plate with 4 tubes, are oval end to fit plate and round to fit carbs but are straight about 80mm long ish, the bike manifolds I have seen on e bay look angled?

thanks,
    peter.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: How to identify Megajolt lite jr type, tps or map?

If your manifold is straight you need to use carbs that aren't downdraught types - easily identified as they'll have a float bowl at an angle to the main body. Unless you can figure out what carbs the manifold was made for, you may struggle as also the tubes will be spaced to suit the carb rack spacing! It may be better to get the carbs first then have a manifold made to suit or get yours adapted? Honda CBR900 Fireblade carbs may be an option compared to R1 sets.

Re the Megajolt, a MAP load sensor would be handy as adapting a TPS onto a carb set is a PITA - not impossible just difficult!

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post

Re the Megajolt, a MAP load sensor would be handy as adapting a TPS onto a carb set is a PITA - not impossible just difficult!
    this is correct with sidedraughts, but most bike carbs already have a TPS! so this would be far better for you.
    Any bike carbs ive fitted to cars all had a tps as standard, my cbr900 carbs im running at the moment do also

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Think about it - TPS is really only any use to detect load and if the bike is using carbs, the TPS can only influence ignition?
    Most bike ignitions of that period - early 2000's - were fairly crude and even if 3D were usually over a 6 x 6 table hardly fine
    resolution for something that has a 12-13,000 rpm range! They may be fitted but from my experience they are more akin
    to rotary switches hence - fit something decent.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

well you can fit any TPS you like if you dont like the factory version, its very simple since the end of the throttle spindle has the square stub on it and a place to screw the tps to.
    It will still be a far easier method than a MAP sensor, since hes using bike cars he will need a take-off fabricated onto each cylinder runner, the four cylinders joined and a small plenum chamber for the map sensor.
    even at that im not sure how accurate the readings would be in that setup.
    the TPS is a physical reading every time, and the fact that the throttle spindle will have the stub on it, its the way i will be going.

+ Reply to Thread