User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mk1 fiesta zetec 6-speed in USA

Mechanic

Thanks

mk1 fiesta zetec 6-speed in USA

so, the missus LOVES mini euro hatches and being a yank the one she is most familiar with is the vw golf/rabbit. has no idea a fiesta even exists! so i showed her a few pics of one. she loves them. unfortunately they are mega rare over here, very hard to get hold of a typically rotten (it is an old ford afterall) anyway, she currently drive a 1983 mk1 vw jetta i swapped a 20v turbo into, uprated the box, coilovers and brakes. she loves it but always perfered a little hatch. so.. i decided to build her one for our anniversary. i picked up a 1980 vw golf shell, repaired all the metal work, swapped the front support for a euro one and had the shell almost ready for paint. few days back, i came across a body shop in jersey, sitting out front.. a mk1 fiesta.. so i ran in, chatted to the owner, owned from new, 70k SOLID engine seized and wants to sell it... 600 dollars later i now own a mk1 fez! so, immediately get it to the shop, find a buyer for the rabbit and brake even! and here it is sitting next to my capri

zero progress on the build yet but will be documented as best i can! car needs to be ready for august. simple plans are, 2.0 blacktop zetec re freshened up. twin 45's, megasquirt (going turbo later possibly as she loves how they drive) getrag 6 speed trans, coilovers, reupholstered interior,
    beige paint, willwood 4 pots, possibly cage. had originally intended on doing a simple 5 speed swap but the ib5 and bc5 boxes don't exist here and i recently found out that the focus st170 was sold here very briefly as a focus svt (special vehicle team i think..?) and they came with the 6 speed im after and there just so happens to be a guy 15 miles away whos breaking one so win win. will need custom mounts and drive shafts but thats easily doable. clutch wise, i'm thinking of probably a solid billet steel flywheel and maybe a mini cooper s clutch as they actually use the same 6 speed trans. but that may change depending.. will see. picking up the trans, shifter box, cables, and motor shortly today and hope to have at least some progress made this week, if work and time permits! currently have a 88 1971 s2a landrover to build.updates to come

Bodger

Thanks

Re: mk1 fiesta zetec 6-speed in USA

looks tidy , mega cheap too. i did try and send those pictures of mine over , but i only took 2 before i bloody sold it.!

Mechanic

Thanks

so small update. bee nbusy to do much else. anyway, i originally planned on using the stock st170/svt mounts and make
    mounting points on the shell but that didnt really work with positioning. it's MUCH easier to position the engine and box
    where you want it and bridge mounts from there. the engine side mount isn't the prettiest looking thing but it will be tidied
    up before its done. it's just in for now to assure it worked and was all measured by eye... and cut with a 5" angle grinder. i
    had solid mounted the trans side which i was just going to strengthen once the engine and box were back out but seeming as the
    box casing is alloy i have worries of it cracking so i'm going to build a fully custom mount that side, similar as the motor mount,
    hang it using DOM tubing and polybushing. i also need to makea final stab/ torque mount, ill just make this using a threaded tube,
    rose joint and it will be mounted to 2 block to bellhousing bolts and then to the front x member (similar as whats on the vw's)
    the engine proved to be a bit of a pain in the arse to get exactly where i wanted it as its a left hooker and the steering box on the
    rack is right in the way of the 6 speed. i plan to have the car dry built minus brakes and struts within the next 2 weeks. then ill tear it
    down ready for it's beige paint job. theres not alot of rust to repair, drivers front floor panel, lower centre section of the firewall/bulkhead
    and a small patch on the upper part of the drivers side outer sill. i will also strengthen the floor for mounting the wilwood pedal box i have for the
    fez and plate up the original shifter hole which had also already been butchered! anyway, few pics...

donor car

battery tray and engine mount before removal

after (if anyone wants a good tray, welcome to it for postage cost)

first attempt with stock st170 mounts. strengthened the inner wing and lowered the mounting point but jst couldnt get it to sit happily

so made new box mounting point. again, only bolted to text positioning as was going to strengthen and keep solid mount but
    now my idea has changed and i'm going to build a mount from scratch..

and as it sits now. yes, it's a little ugly but it will get finished off properly once all the boxes are ticked and it's pulled out again

thats as low as i can safely have the engine sit before sump clearence becomes an issue.
    heses the problem areas on the floors, this is literally all the rust that needs replacing. (due to a shitty attempt at installing air con and not making the car water tight..)

it'll be fueled by these (r1 carbs) and run megajolt for spark

oh and im going to delete the vvt shite with this cheap kit and 2 adjustable cam pulleys

oh and a shot of the pedal box i'm using

will update when i have more worthwhile mentions! mounts finished off new box mount made, engine refeeshed and body work started!

oh and heres a snap of an exocet i built, assembled and painted. chassis number one in the states. pretty cool

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Nice project dude.

I have a mk1 with st170, but with ib5 box and keeping the vvt it's a ongoing project , there is a project ongoing on here using the six speed, might be good for inspiration and is a good read anyway .

Good luck with the project !
    Last edited by Ali_b; 04-07-2015 at 09:13.

Mechanic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_b View Post
    Nice project dude.

I have a mk1 with st170, but with ib5 box and keeping the vvt it's a ongoing project , there is a project ongoing on here using the six speed, might be good for inspiration and is a good read anyway .

Good luck with the project !
    yeah i've had a little look around. it's a pretty straight forward swap, the box is pretty short, just it's positioning of the selector rods got in the way with the steering as its a left hooker made me scratch my head a little. i've already made up another tranny mount that i think will work much better than solid mounting but will still keep it very ridgid.

+ Reply to Thread