User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stalling on my s1

Thanks

stalling on my s1

just wondering if anyone can help. (a mate mentioned this site to me) what it is,is when i come up 2 junctions itll stall on me and is doin ma head in. also,when im stud still in idle,if i give it some revs over 3k itll just drop and cut out completely. ive taken it 2 a mates garage and had ma head gasket and water pump done(as this had been needed aswell),ive had a new pair of top heat proof range plugs fitted with bn ford motorsport leads and a new timing belt fitted (due 2 gettin told battery wasnt chargin and this was problem) thing is,its still happenin and is very annoyin. ive turned revs up to 1.5k to keep the tic over but is usin loadsa juice,but still when i stop at junction ie puttin foot on clutch and brake itll stall also.
    also,just read the thread for the rs turbo running cold and im having same problem wiv ma s1. ive had bn thermostat and water pump fitted and still not gettin hot air in ma car,its only warm but that takes ages to reach. ive had to put fan on permanently to keep engine cool and ive also tried leaving thermostat out (at present) to keep flow of water to keep engine cool but still no look. ma pipes are boiling hot but the pipes that lead to back of car are coldish. ive been told that there c ould be a massive clogg in ma water system? but i dont know.
    any kind help will be appreciated.
    many thanks,mike.(new user)

Thanks

Re: stalling on my s1

got the same problem on mine its a solid plastic pipe on the back of the inlet leaking on mine or you got a d/v that could leak

Thanks

cheers for that,ill have a look in mornin. d/v seems to be ok,although i did notice a bit of water in d/v when car was in tick over

Bodger

Thanks

When you say the pipes leading to the back of the car are cold, I presume you mean the two heater matrix pies going throught the bulk head. If these two pipes are arn't heating up it will proberly mean that the heater matrix is blocked with rust/ oil depending if the previos head gaskit was leaking oil. If the cores on the matrix are block is also probible that the cores on the rad are blocked.
    To test the matrix disconect the pipes leading to the matrix and then blow down one and see how diifcult it is to blow the coolant out of the other disconected pipe.
    To test the rad allow the engine to heat up and monitor the temp of the pipes and rad, you may find that the middle of the rad is boiling hot but the top is stone cold. This will mean that the cores in the top of the rad are blocked.
    It is important to have anti free in the engine to maintain the correct temp and it is the correct strength of anti free to much will casue the engine to over heat.
    For the stalling problem the best way to find the problem would be to put the car onto a gas anerlizer and check the Co approx 2.5 - 3.5 From the measurment obtained from the machine you will know if the mixture is to week or to rich

Thanks

the black pipe in the picture dosent sill tight

Thanks

thanks for those bits of info. a mate came round 2day and has said the same,he checked water and it was still cold (after running for a bit) and told me to pull the matrix pipes off and flush it out with a hose pipe. another mate has said the same about gettin ma fuel mixture sorted for the stallin problem cus apparantly is a common fault with 'em if the fuel mixture aint right. And a reply to 'turbocabs' ,ive looked at the black pipe and doesnt seem to be leaking. will let ya's know how i get on.
    Thanks,mike.

Thanks

got some of ma car sorted finally ( i think). the problem with ma pipes getting too hot and no hot air in ma was due to me having a massive air clogg in my water coolent. took it to ma mates garage and he sucked all the air out (from header tank) with this tool (wich requires a compresser for it to work) that he bought from Snap On and then all of a sudden ma pipes got dead thin and showing up on the gauge that all the air was out. Thanks to this sorted i now have HOT air in ma car. due to ma car getting dead hot was thae fact that ma Header Tank's top return connector was blocked! (dont know what it was as it was black and solid). manage to unblock this by screwing a screw into it. now the coolent system is all back to normal thank god! AND ma stalling problem,i didnt work on a c/o machine untill the guy took the screw completely out,it settled right and where it should be at (with the screw in it was rounding up to 2400) got told to get it on an analysor machine wich will sort it (i hope)

BUT still to this day i dont think ma head gasket had gone,just ma water pump i reckon? different garages told me different things,they dont know nothin nowadays lol. (no offence to machanics out there).

+ Reply to Thread