User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Landy Series 3 buying tips

Bodger

Thanks

Question Landy Series 3 buying tips

Hi everyone,

thought i would ask on here as your a knowledgeable bunch, i am supposed to be looking at a series 3 with a friend over the weekend, apart from the obvious mechanical stuff such as Diffs and transfer box. and things like Chassis Rot and making sure its on cart springs, what else would be good to look for. the guy buying it isnt really that technical so i could do without him breaking down and calling me every five mins, i don't really have any experience with these apart from driving one (with no floor) on a farm when i was a kid.

Thanks in advance guys

Happy Friday!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Landy Series 3 buying tips

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andy-v For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andy-v For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mate seeing as you are local you or your mate need to speak to a fella called Geoff at Washington Land Rovers. Give him a bell on 07880853493. The man knows them inside out and can even do a full custom build of one to whatever spec your pal wants.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigErn For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User Si_Steve's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Rust....rust....and rust again

My 2a has been sitting a few years and the more i dig into it the more im thinking a new chassis might be on the cards....or at least body off to replace a section of the chassis

Bodger

Thanks

well actually he turned up outside my house last night in an 02 plate TD5 one that he has paid £7200 for, looks like its been a fashion statement for someone as its never seen any mud underneath and apparently the bloke had a range and a Porsche as-well, pretty happy for him until he has to replace the tyres as there huge. was slightly concerned to see it running 40mm wheel spacers and to see a receipt for "4 loose wheels", but its had a full front axle rebuild and a new prop fitted in the last six months so has been looked after well. thanks for the reply's anyway guys,

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

TD5?

*shudder*

Possibly the worst engine land rover has ever produced. The heads crack around the injectors/fuel rail and you get running issues (I don't think the heads can be skimmed either...once they are warped they are done) Even when Land rover replace cylinder heads on them they don't use their own ones...I can't remember the name of the company that do the uprated ones but even Land Rover themselves use them now.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I dont know where you get the information from that the TD5 is a bad engine, we have had one in a Discovery with a 5 Alive Map and a full Stainless Exhaust and the Engine has nt had a spanner on it in the last 5 years apart from servicing. The Exhaust note sounds beautiful, unlike our far Eastern Competitors

Theres nothing wrong with the TD5 Engine, we have had one in a Discovery for over 6 years and it has never had a spanner on it apart from its routine service. It has done over 150.000 miles and has not given one much as a mermer. Its fitted with a 5 Alive map and full stainless system, it sounds more like a V8 than a 5 cylinder.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

My information is from having to fix the bloody things

Mind you, there is one that comes in for routine servicing in a defender that's done 180 odd thousand miles and all ive had to sort so far on it is the injector loom (they saturate with oil which tracks to the ECU and fries it)...at the same time I don't know what has been done previously

+ Reply to Thread