User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap new Turbo's on eBay are they any good. GT30, GT35,GT40

Bodger

Thanks

Cheap new Turbo's on eBay are they any good. GT30, GT35,GT40

Hello have you seen all these cheap new turbos on eBay with 1 years warranty.
    Cheap, I mean less than £200 for a GT 30, 35, 40
    Anyone used one are they any good if it last 6 months and dies as long as it doesn't take out the motor for that price seems nearly to good to be true.

see link

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331626269706?_mwBanner=1

Thanks

Re: Cheap new Turbo's on eBay are they any good. GT30, GT35,GT40

your going to get 90% of people on here who are anti but im going to give you my expieriences.
    Mine and a mates cosworth both run a gt30 type one from china cost £189 posted iirc 3 years ago mine has done 11k miles so far has his has done more not sure but i suspect 15k both are still on the cars and both have done many of track days mine made 391 bhp at Emerald but run out of injector duty and his runs well over 430bhp and gets hard abuse.

Also i brought one for my Mazda MPS which i dont own anymore but still is going today and that get used daily doing lot of miles again no problem.

I think these "Chinese" Turbos have come a long way in the last 5 years. The jap boys have no problems with them at well over 500bhp with no problems.

All good from my point of view, only downpoint i think i noticed is not a quicker spool as a Ball bearing version.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to roosie For This Useful Post:

Pole Position Decade Plus User freddy686868's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roosie View Post
    your going to get 90% of people on here who are anti but im going to give you my expieriences.
    Mine and a mates cosworth both run a gt30 type one from china cost £189 posted iirc 3 years ago mine has done 11k miles so far has his has done more not sure but i suspect 15k both are still on the cars and both have done many of track days mine made 391 bhp at Emerald but run out of injector duty and his runs well over 430bhp and gets hard abuse.

Also i brought one for my Mazda MPS which i dont own anymore but still is going today and that get used daily doing lot of miles again no problem.

I think these "Chinese" Turbos have come a long way in the last 5 years. The jap boys have no problems with them at well over 500bhp with no problems.

All good from my point of view, only downpoint i think i noticed is not a quicker spool as a Ball bearing version.
    I agree here as i run con rods from china and they are great. I would use maxspeedig rods if i was to buy any chinese turbos off anyone though as i bought the rods off them. So my theory is if the rods take a hammering so will thier turbos. I will be using one of thier turbos on the yb i am building in the future.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to freddy686868 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh sorry i forgot to mention about maxspeeding rods i also run these and they were perfectly balanced when i took them to my engine builder he didnt need to do anything, there is a few cossies on Passionford that run 600bhp on them rods aswell.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to roosie For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User MegatronUK's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

How much of an upgrade would be one of these be (a ball bearing version) to an already uprated T3 on a 4x4 engine?

Rest of the bits would be 3" downpipe, 3bar map sensor, 403 injectors, group a head gasket, lambda sensor and wasted spark ignition with a MSD 320bhp chip.

Are we talking 25bhp extra? 50bhp? Same power at less boost? Earlier spool?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roosie View Post

Thanks the for the reply and info.
    Can I ask what spec turbo you had them do AR on both the hot and cold sides and was it a twin scroll (blade). Did it come off the shelf or a one off hybrid type. I don't suppose you have your old eBay link so I can have a nosey.
    Did you have to use a four bolt exhaust clamp to the turbo or did they supply a 3 bolt. Sorry for all the questions but you've experienced them and still running one
    Cheers
    Adrian

Thanks

There are a few vids on youtube about the china turbos. They look ok but the turbos they list as GT's are only based on a GT turbo spec.
    It has been found that the proper GT turbo cores can be fitted into the cheaper housings. Cores are £400 or more.
    The cheap ones are a plane bearing turbo as the old T2 and T3 frame turbos.
    I got a GTX35 and you could almost add a zero to the end of the Ebay ones, but its a full metal cage bearing turbo that will do upto 700bhp without falling apart.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to robrs2 For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Hello cheers for the reply.
    I understand that the Garret GT35 is some or nearly 10 times the cost, but from feed back on here and else where are they 10 times better?
    If the cheap eBay turbo last a season and pops, it doesn't matter. From what I've been told and read since putting this on here is - They spin up slightly slower than a Genuine Garret GT, but more like the older T3's, which seems to run in hand with what your saying about the inner cores being non GT spec, but just using the Garret GT spec hot & cold air ratios.
    On a plus point, reliability seems pretty good on both mileage and time in use which must be down to it being a tractor type T series turbos. For £125 or so I think it's worth a punt.

Thanks

It's not a case of being 10 x better. It the cheap turbo fails then kills the engine too it's not £125 for a new one its a full new motor too.
    Look at the reviews on YouTube for the failures. It's really a "take a chance on the cheap one, fingers crossed"

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thx for sharing your info guy's

+ Reply to Thread