User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine knock

Bodger

Thanks

engine knock

I have a knocking noise coming from my engine. Its an essex V6, the knocking only apears when the engine is hot it is audible at lower revs only and can be heard from inside or ouside the car it seems to speeds up with revs but can't hear it above about 1800rpm. With a stethoscope you can hear it on the right bank cylinder head but not on the left or on the bellhousing, inlet manifold front timing cover or distributor it can still be heard if you remove plug lead 1 2 or 3 I removed the fan belt so it's not the alternator water pump or front pulley. The oil pressure is 75 psi cold idle and about 35psi hot idle at 2000rpm its well above 50psi hot, I'm running 20/50 oil. Not sure if this is a big end knock or something different. It's quite a deep sound so don't think it's top end.but I did remove the rocker cover and all seemed fine in there checked the valve clearances while I was there and all good. From inside the car it sounds just like the exhaust is vibrating/hitting against the chassis but everything is clear.
    any help would be great
    Cheers Chris

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: engine knock

Big end, engine out I'm afraid.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: engine knock

Yes that's what I thought but worth asking the question.
    Thanks for the answer
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread