User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Essex V6 oil leak mystery

Thanks

Essex V6 oil leak mystery

Hello, Turbosport- fellows.

I have a problem. My Capri failed MOT because the Essex V6 is leaking oil.....

Thanks

Re: Essex V6 oil leak mystery

And here is the prolem:

- I had the engine apart this summer. Changed one piston. While engine was out I inspected bearings and seals. The rear seal looked 100% good. No trace of oil leaks there. However, at times I found some oil dripping at the usual spot between clutchousing and Block.

I put the engine together, taking good care fitting everything with good amount of silicone, knowing what spots are prone to leak on this engine. However, after rebuilding the guys at the garage won't let the Capri pass MOT due to oil leaks.... yes; right where you guessed- at the clutchousing/ block- split....

I opened the flywheel- cover and find the flywheel and the area I was able to inspect at the rear of Block, spotless. No oil there. I have turned the oilsump bolts another 1/2 turn- they were a bit loose. The cylinders heads are dry as is the rear top of the Block.

I have found some oil in the following area:

So, do you have any idea?

From photo 2 it looks like a leak between head and Block? Not possible, as I see it.
    Can it be oil FLYING from the disptick rearwards?
    Could it be the rear seal- housing leaking?

Hope you have a great tip on solving this.....

Thanks

Re: Essex V6 oil leak mystery

Here's a small update.

Picture 2 show where the head meets the Block, furthest rear, RH cylinder bank. I wiped this area clean and went for a 5 min drive.
    After this as wet as in the Picture.

In the Picture you can see the spark plug boot for cylinder 3 and part of the cylinder head Outer wall. This is completely dry.... so no dripping from the valve covers. Where could this oil come from?

Possible crack?

+ Reply to Thread