User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Shock Absorbers

Thanks

Rear Shock Absorbers

I think my my rear shocks are completely f**ked. Once compressed they dont return back at all. I am right in thinking that they should return back?

Anyone recommend a good set of rear shocks?

Cheers.

Thanks

Re: Rear Shock Absorbers

Depends if you have gas shocks,if not they wont return up as it is the gas that pushes the rod out again and oil dampers don't

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

do they push down easily, but are very hard to pull back out? if yes then they are ok, but if it comes out as easy as it went down then its had it.

Thanks

They need force to push them down but need much more to pull them back out again. So there ok then? What type are they then oil, gas, or spring?

There not adjustable though and I would like a pair of adjustables, but dont whether to stick with what i've got, get some billies, or get some adjustable ones?

whats the handling like with adjustable shocks set to hard?

My Race Car
    Thanks

the damper as thats what your talking about ( I hate quikfit for calling them shocks) are there to damp the ' shock ' waves in the spring, the spring gets compressed and then releasess its energy, this causes the spring to bounce, the damper stops the bouncing.

The way that you have them set is to effect the osccilations in the spring, on a smooth track you can stiffen them so they work quicker as the spring movements are smaller, the rougher the surface the softer you can go, if you push and pull your damper just a little you will find that it moves easily, this is what the damper is moving like on a smooth surface, and as such isn't doing any damping till the spring and damper move more. By stiffening (your making the holes in which the damping oil moves smaller) your making the damper work at these small movements. On rougher ground the spring is needed to push the wheel back to the ground, say when it hits a bump, travels up wards and then goes down the other side of the bump, if the damper is set hard, it will resrict the spring pushing the wheel back down, so the tyre will lose contact with the ground. In this case the wheel is in the air , no grip, but also the weight of the car is not supported so that corner of the car will go down, diagonally oppsite the other wheel will rise, again loss of contact with the ground, thats 2 diagonally opposite corners with no grip.

You have no gas dampers, and the gas is put into dampers to compress the oil so that it dosn't aerate when working hard and over long travel.

All dampers use oil as the damping medium.

Thanks

Think I need to buy a book on suspension setup.

Thanks

All dampers use oil as the damping medium.

I watched a programme about the Rod Millen operation in the USA who are well known car tuners and do lots of development work for the military. They had built a kind of 6 wheel remote rover to go exploring without endagering soldiers.

Well they had an adaptive damping system that used a fluid in the dampers that responded to an electrical/magnetic field by becoming more/less viscous.

So at the touch of a button (so to speak) they could change the damping from rock hard to very soft.

They had a bowl of this liquid and the guy put a piece of metal in the fluid and magentized it, all the fluid stuck to the metal and could be llifted out of the bowl, they removed the field and it fell back into the bowl like water.

I guess this liquid was still having to be forced through holes in the dampers but their ability to change it's viscosity at will was amazing.

David

My Race Car
    Thanks

Beats us adding ep90 to the dextron2 in varying amounts to change the viscosity

Pit Crew Decade Plus User ludsonline's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

My Company (Delphi) developed a system called CVRSS (continuously variable road-sensing suspension ). It made an incredible difference to lap times at a test track

Read about it here

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/10-2001/

+ Reply to Thread