User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto turbo on 0,7 bar

Bodger

Thanks

Pinto turbo on 0,7 bar

So the first dyno run made a couple of weeks ago didn't seem good enough for me - the power is a bit low and also it is not going up until the redline which is at 6000 rpm.

After this I only checked valve clearances - all were OK except for number 2,3 and 4 intake valves, the gaps were less than 0,2 and were reading 0,17mm. This is within the limits as Ford specifies 0,2 +-0,03mm, however I readjusted those 3 valves and went for more fine tune on the dyno.
    Interesting thing is that first two base runs before mapping corrections made approximately the same power but with less torque and the power goes up until the redline. Interesting, may the adjusted valve gaps have influence on that? Because nothing else was changed here. This run is "Test9".

During fine tune we managed to achieve 202 bhp but small misfire/detonation started to occure so we lowered the power to 196 bhp - "Test24". In some areas the power increase is more than 20 bhp which is really noticable on the street.

One more interesting thing - all these runs were made with 4 degree cam advance which I was using all the time. On more test was made with 0 degree advance - basically stock cam timing - and the power was 201 bhp however in lower RPMs there is quite a high power loss, 10 bhp or so. "Test25" is with 0 deg cam advance. We decided that 4 deg cam advance is better in general

Everything seems to be fine, but on the street my knock gauge started to show some knocking. I think the problem is that during dyno runs, MAT was more that 20 deg C and the MAT ignition retard is set to 2 deg on this temperature. On the street MAT was less than 10 deg C and MAT retard is 0, so on the street I had 2 deg earlier ignition which may caused some small knocking. Readjusted this to the same ignition timing as it was on the dyno and now it seems to be alright.

Now about the engine:

Stock Pinto with mildly ported head;
    0,7 bar boost pressure;
    850cc Delphi injectors;
    Comp turbo with 58mm exh exducer, 51mm intake inducer, T4 on center exhaust housing, 0,58 a/r;
    Janspeed log type cast iron manifold, 38mm Tial WG;
    3" SS exhaust;
    MS2 ECU

Turbo's compressor map:

It feels like now there is nothing I can do more with this boost pressure, need new engine with stronger bottom

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Pinto turbo on 0,7 bar

Valve clearance will not have had a big influence. Do you correct to DIN Bhp. Is sometimes difficult to get good repeatable readings from turbo's. Intercooler need to be at same temp when starting the run etc..

I guess you need a smaller turbo so you can gain the low end power back. 850 injectors for 200 bhp sounds like very big to me. Maybe you have some control problems.

MAT was more than 20°. I think it should have been a lot higher unless you use a very large charge cooler. Did you connect it before the turbo entry or in the manifold where it should be. Beware if you only do short dyno runs in acc. mode on a flywheel dyno. The time is to short to do any kind of correct adjustment. You need slow run's or fixed loading against the dyno.

If you hear knock on this engine, you are probably using way to much ignition advance. Whats you max advance curve? Standard 9:1 CR ?

200 bhp is not bad for standard Pinto, specially if you can kick up the bottom torque.
    Last edited by Dyno; 08-11-2015 at 00:22.

Bodger

Thanks

I have such large injectors because on the next engine I'm seeking for much higher power, and they will not be working on their limit.

The intercooler is not very large, I would say a medium one. MAT sensor is in the intercooler pipe just before the throttle plate, sticking out in the airflow.

As for the knock, I didn't hear it by ears, but the guy who was mapping used bosch knock sensor on the block plus some device which reads sensor's frequency and also converts it to hearable sound. This is his know-how to detect small knock

CR is standard, I think about 9,2 to 1.

This is the final table we ended up with:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

ignition numbers slightly lower as what I used to see but you are running 9/1.

+ Reply to Thread