User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T5 speedo driven gear

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

T5 speedo driven gear

I am trying to source a Sierra Cosworth T5 speedo driven gear (partsnr.: 1643124), but with different number of teeth to the original one which is 21 teeth.

My car has a different rear axle ratio and wheel size and therefor requires a 19 teeth driven gear to make the speedo read correct.

Anyone know if it is at all available, or a work around using the 21 toothed original?
    67 TVR VIXEN V8

Thanks

Re: T5 speedo driven gear

http://www.americanmuscle.com/speedo...th-manual.html

?

I have looked for different gears and there seem to be plenty for Mustangs, not sure if the fit a Sierra gearbox but I would think so.

I gave up though and am working on fitting a Scorpio electronic speedo, an electronic speedo sender on the gearbox and having the Megasquirt output an adjusted signal for the Speedo.

Regards

Gustaf

Thanks

Thanks Gustav, but that won't work as the Sierra Cosworth adapter requires a driven gear with a stem/axle that the speedo cable fits into. The stem seals the driven gear against the internal o-rings in the adapter.

This is what the adapter with driven gear from a Cosworth looks like

I'd really like to keep the speedo mechanical as my car has some 60's Smiths instruments and none of the electrical ones are accurate copies.
    67 TVR VIXEN V8

Thanks

Ah, I see...

What about the GM T5 gears then?

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...32/3532517.htm

I think they look more like the Cosworth gear.

I'm fitting the Scorpio electronic speedo behind a Capri mechanical dash face so the install will be pretty stealth...but it's some work and you'd need an ond Smiths instrument to sacrifice.

Gustaf

Thanks

The stem/shaft on th eGM-gears are 5mm to short so they don't seal up the outer o-ring in the Cosworth adapter.

I can buy a custom made GM driven gear from http://www.transmissioncenter.org/GM...eter_Gears.htm

But I need to know if the gears should be orientated right or left and what pitch for the stock drive gear on the output shaft. I would also need to know what diameter the driven gear needs to be.

Apparently there is a mechanical speedo drive out there that fits, but I've never seen one, only heard about it and it's rare as hens teeth.
    67 TVR VIXEN V8

Thanks

OK...is it possible to convert the gearbox to a Mustang (or GM) style speedo cable drive? Or is the tailhousing different too perhaps?

Gustaf

Thanks

The problem is that the hole in the tailhousing is unique to the TVR. It measures 1-1/16". The Ford Mustang uses approx 22mm and the Cosworth box approximately 1-1/8"
    67 TVR VIXEN V8

+ Reply to Thread