User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online MOT history checker and car clocking

Bodger

Thanks

Online MOT history checker and car clocking

Id been looking at what appeared to be a fairly low priced XR2i advertised locally on Ebay, and as part of my homeowrk, decided to do a bit of checking on www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

Mileages from the website for various MOTS

Nov 2007 79,720
    Dec 2007 44,894
    Mar 2009 19,101
    July 2013 31,797

The current owner claims the previous owner had changed the clocks for a set with
    Zero mileage, and he has done 4600 ish on those clocks.

So ignoring the period 2007-2009, where its impossible to ascertain actual mileage accrued , by my reckoning the mileage is at least 79,720 + 12696 + 4600 = 97016.

Also, various failures due to corrosion were listed, and advisories on very heavy undersealing over welded repairs.

Needless to say I decided not to view the car. The current owner also appeared a bit disappointed as he claims he has only checked the copies of the MOT’s that came with the car when he bought it.

Ive since looked at another today, and the mileage had gone from

22 Nov 2005 29,003
    27 Nov 2006 5,699

What a minefield out there

Mechanic

Thanks

Re: Online MOT history checker and car clocking

It's not just the old cars either it's new ones too and very easy to do.

ALWAYS do your homework before even going to view a car, hpi check it and check back on old mots which can be got online although it may not go back as far as some people need. Then the next thing is does the car fit the mileage and the story as in the car viewed with an not on 22 Nov 05 had 29,003 miles and in 2006 5,699. Doesn't matter how old the car it's worth looking into
    Keep her lit

Bodger

Thanks

Its 25 years old and from the 90s when 1 in 4 cars were clocked at some time. I would go and view it and buy it on condition not miles . Assuming its the one in Preston it looks ok condition for the price. A mint gen low miles one would be three times that price.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

i would agree, when looking at something like that the mileage is largely irreverent unless 100% proof of very low mileage, even then on on an old car that doesnt guarantee the mechanicals will be ok

Mechanic

Thanks

I had a car garage tell me it was impossible to clock a modern car, I had gone to look at a discovery 3, had 150k on it but something wasn't right but I wasn't sure what so I walked away,

Turned out it was ex highways, released from fleet at 2 yr old with 280k on the clock through auctions in Birmingham, 12 months on it appeared on eBay with a new seats and only 90 on the clock, had various owners none long term and was up for sale recently 8 year old wth 120k,

The garage shares blind its its not been clocked and not a highways car, even though I joined the d3/4 owners club and a previous owners who bought it with out knowing and someone who posted a pic of it dressed up as a highways car and claimed it was his as he work for them.

Bodger

Thanks

yeah its the one in Preston. it can stay there. Irrespective of how many clockings it may/may not have had, theres black and white evidence its a 100,000 miler, with scant service history. Ive had enough experience with the CVH over the years to know it will be one tired old motor
    Last edited by black olive; 27-01-2016 at 09:58.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I had a car garage tell me it was impossible to clock a modern car, I had gone to look at a discovery 3, had 150k on it but something wasn't right but I wasn't sure what so I walked away,

Turned out it was ex highways, released from fleet at 2 yr old with 280k on the clock through auctions in Birmingham, 12 months on it appeared on eBay with a new seats and only 90 on the clock, had various owners none long term and was up for sale recently 8 year old wth 120k,

The garage shares blind its its not been clocked and not a highways car, even though I joined the d3/4 owners club and a previous owners who bought it with out knowing and someone who posted a pic of it dressed up as a highways car and claimed it was his as he work for them.
    It's easier to clock new cars! I saw a 3 year old Audi A5 clocked in under a minute before it went back to leasing company, was shocked!

Mechanic

Thanks

Thing is with modern cars the mileage is stored in several locations not just in the clocks so by plugging a car in you may be able to see it has been clocked more importantly when? Not so bad if it's years back making it irrelevant but it's when it's been wound back and your looking at the person responsible it's probably better to tell them it's been clocked recently and walk away
    Keep her lit

+ Reply to Thread