Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: GavinR's Mk2 Rally Car - FLY

Pit Crew Decade Plus User GavinR's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: GavinRs Mk2 Rally Car FLY

Finished the cage today, all painted as well

Then trimmed the C pillar repair section and fitted it behind the current panel

All welded and a couple more plates to form the window surround and air vent

Needs a bit of grinding and some filler but all the rust is gone

Next job is some small plates on the floor and a bit of welding to the chassis

And I've entered a Road Rally in 6 weeks, plenty of time to finish her
    GavinR

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/signaturepics/sigpic2999_8.gif

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

some work going on there mate .

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Some rot in the chassis

And on the sill where I'd put a partial sill on a few years ago

The inner sill, jacking point and floor had gone at the same point

After welding all that back together, another small patch on the chassis, straightened and reinforced the front spring hanger skid plate where it has been battered over the years, various plates on the floor to cover the holes where the seat had been moved a few times, and reinforcement plates for the seat, I filled the C-pillar, rear arch and sill repairs

Last night 3 coats of primer over all the repairs

And 4 top coats tonight

A few final bits of welding left - there are cracks in the diff tunnel and boot floor, and the driver's floor needs a couple of patches and reinforcements plates

Hopefully this weekend I can start bolting bits back on
    GavinR

Thanks

Looking good for her age

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Finished all the welding last weekend, found some more bits on the driver's side chassis, the spring hanger skid was quite bad so I cut it off to find the chassis rail was non-existant so I repaired that before making a new skid, and the seat cross member looked good from the top but had split underneath so that got a large patch. The crack in the diff tunnel I just welded back together which just leaves the boot floor which will be done when she's back on the ground

So I spent a few evenings last week undersealing both sides under the front wings, along the chassis rails and sills and anywhere I'd done some welding. Inside the floors got a coat of black hammerite and the rear turrets & inner arches a coat of yellow

And last night I started putting the axle on and finished it off tonight

Next job, a bit of wiring and battery cables to replace some I'd borrowed to finish DVY last year
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

After a busy week I had a quick trip to HT this morning (320 mile round trip in 5 hours) and collected the Pinto from Ron

All nice and shiny, not much to mention but she's got new pistons along with the usual bearings, gaskets, seals, etc and the flywheel's been skimmed so the clutch should last longer

I've got the front struts on now, new discs and back to the Princess 4 pots to make wheel fitting easier, new adjustable TCA's and polybushes from Rally Design, and refitted the RBTM's instead of the ally one's I'd been using, and bolted on the mounts for the strut brace, hope it fits with the single 45. The wiring is all put back to Pinto spec now and I've put in a couple of extra earths for the headlights

Plan for tomorrow is to put the wiring back where it should be then drop the engine in
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Got quite a lot done today

Routed the wiring round the engine bay

Engine in, carbs a bit tight against the inner wing but not touching

Followed by the gearbox, rad, coils and even the front wings
    GavinR

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

good progress

My 1st Project
    Thanks

hi gavin, i thought i reconised the number plate FLY, i just had a look at my video of the classic tracks rally 2005 and sure enough it was this car, are you out on the bro caron rally in a couple weeks time, cheers Arwyn

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Yes I did the Classic Tracks a couple of times when I lived near Lampeter and Fly's being rebuilt this time for the Bro Caron

After a few more late nights this week, the plan for today was to get the engine running

It didn't go well when the water pump sprung a leak followed by a heater hose leaking, but I fixed them, took the dizzy out and turned the oil pump with a 1/4" ratchet to get oil pressure, put it back in in the same place, went to start her up but there were no signs of life - turning over quickly but not firing at all

Checked for fuel, checked for spark, all ok, swung the dizzy a bit both ways but still nothing apart from popping back through the carb

So went back to basics, set the engine to TDC, checked the rotor arm and found it was pointing to no 3 not no 1. Swung the dizzy by 90 degrees and she started first time

I think when HT had rebuilt the engine they had put the plug leads on different plugs to what I expected, then when I collected the engine we took all the leads off to lie the engine down in the boot. And I put the leads back on differently

I've got an MOT booked for Monday afternoon, she just needs a bonnet, an exhaust and check all the lights work - shame I'm at work now until the afternoon, looks like I'll be busy Monday morning

For the rally, there's still a few jobs to do and I've got a Rolling Road session on Friday, it'll be interesting to see how much the single carb gives

Front end finished

Boot finished except for spare wheel post and toolbox

Interior needs a bit of tidying up and finishing off
    GavinR

My 1st Project
    Thanks

nice one, i hope things goes to plan with you this week, i wish i wasnt working this week either as i still got to put anti tramp bars on , steering rack and change some bushes, it will be a busy week, anyway ill probably see you at the start, lets hope it wont snow

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Good luck for the MOT.. sure you'll soon be barking down the lanes

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

MOT
    GavinR

My 1st Project
    Thanks

where about, near lampeter did you live, i asked some boys tonight if they knew you, they remembered FLY
    glad you got MOT, is your car ready now

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azz259 View Post
    where about, near lampeter did you live, i asked some boys tonight if they knew you, they remembered FLY
    glad you got MOT, is your car ready now
    We used to live on the hill above Talsarn, from end of 2000 to end of 2006, then a couple of years in Bethania

Fly's not quite ready yet but I got the wiring finished tonight
    GavinR

Thanks

engine is looking good gavin, im out on bro caron too (car 17) mite catch you down west!!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Bugger, bugger, bugger and double bugger

After a week of late nights and some early mornings, Fly was all ready by 4pm Saturday, set off for Lampeter, dropped the Scorpio and trailer at a friend's house, got through noise and scrutineering without any problems and we were ready to go

Snow was forecast for 1am so I'd gone with forest tyres on the front and serious knobblies on the back

The first section was cancelled before the start so we started section 2 at 1am. Got to the first TC about 2 minutes late, Fly not running well (think a plug lead had come loose - she was fine through scrutineering), next section was up on the hills above Ffarmers, heavy snow started falling, coming down so fast we couldn't see the tyre tracks of the car a minute ahead

Past the first speccie point, about a mile later, gently downhill into a not as map 60 left, debris everywhere and gouges out of the bank, tried to slow down but we were just passengers, snow on top of sheet ice just doesn't work, bounced off the bank followed by squealing from the front tyre, carried on to a farm entrance and got out to assess the damage, along with 2 other bent cars

Wing bent, front wheel pushed back into the arch and rubbing, anti-roll bar bracket bent, even in a straight line the tyre was rubbing so we wouldn't have got much further

Looked at the map, we were 1/2 mile from the trailer so headed there and loaded up, in total we had done 8 miles from leaving the start venue to the trailer, waited for Guy to finish marshalling and then headed home, nearly jack-knifed the trailer twice on the way back, once on a straight, some places didn't have any snow, others had about 3 inches

Looking good from this angle

Bugger

Bugger

Suspicious underseal missing from inner wing

Double bugger

I'll have a good look later in the week, not sure yet whether to try to straighten and patch the chassis leg or go for compression struts

As for the rally, results were declared at petrol. Shame we didn't get further as the first half had all the usual roads round Lampeter which I know pretty well
    GavinR

Thanks

Hi Gavin,
    I was down marshalling for another competitor, I was looking out for you to say hello, but managed to miss you. I hope the damage to FLY looks worse than the reality. We were watching at a fast approach on a B road to a slot right near Talsarn, the front runners were really on it!!

It was a bad night for lots of crews, we nearly bumped the Discovery a few times trying to get to our control , only to find it was cancelled.

We ended the night picking the car up with a broken driveshaft about 5 miles before petrol. It was quite some trip home, following the snow plough over the hills.
    Cheers
    Paul

My 1st Project
    Thanks

hi gav, didnt go to good then.i was parked next to you in the car park, when i realised it was you , you had started plotting so i left you to it. i managed to hit the hedge up ffarmers somewhere, wing bent in and my driver side lamp was pushed back in to the wing, ill put a pic up, it looks much worse than yours but luckily mine was kind of drivable,lol after seeing a 4 car pile up in cilcennin we decided to stop there just incase i would total the mk2,whens your next event,

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

I didn't realise that was you either

My next event is a Gymkhana (sort of a large scale autotest) this Sunday. Even though it's not a big event I want to do a few more miles in Fly so I'm keen to get there

So I started stripping Fly tonight, removed wheels, bumper, grill, sumpguard to have a good look at exactly what was bent

The steering rack's ok and the column hasn't twisted - the only extra bent bit is the rosejoint where the TCA joins the WCXM, but the TCA itself and the adjuster is dead straight

I had a look through my spares and found enough bits to make a complete set of compression struts, but unfortunately not enough rosejoints but I should be able to get one in the morning

Tomorrow night I hope to have the brackets welded on and most of her back together

And I've fitted a new set of plug leads just to be sure
    GavinR

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

glad the damage is easily fixable

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Glad your ok, and Fly's fixable ... one thing, when you repair the chassis rail, dont weld up the triangle crushzone hole, as thats saved you a lot more work,

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Got Fly all done for the Gymkhana and even managed to spend a couple of hours pushing the wing back into shape, doesn't look too bad now

Shiny compression strut and mount

Didn't manage to straighten the chassis that much, when I have more time I'll chop out the bent bit, push it out and weld it up, it's quite crumbly underneath which might have contributed to how much it bent

Had a quick drive up the road as well, did about 10 miles, got the brake bias set up perfectly so the rears lock a fraction before the front and the handling was good as well (I'd measured DVY's TCA's and comp struts and set these the same)

For the Gymkhana you need a navigator and 2 people can drive the same car so I'd asked my brother Derek if he fancied a go, which he did so I spent the night at his house near Chelmsford and we set off early on Sunday for the Gymkhana near Ipswich

It was cold and wet on the airfield with a few large puddles around so we went with the new Yoko's that I'd bought for the Road Rally

3 reasonable size tests were laid out and before the start we had a gentle convoy run through all of them - as Derek hadn't driven Fly for years I let him drive while I wrote some comments on the Test Diagrams - a lot of it was among buildings or on overgrown parts of an old runway. Each Test was to be run twice forwards then once in the other direction after lunch, together with some 'Skill' Tests which comprised estimating the width of your car, trying to reverse as close as possible to a cone and a Motorsport Quiz

I was seeded Car 4 out of 70, not sure why as it's years since I've done anything like this, but with the cars running at minute intervals there was no chance of being caught up. I set off on Test 1 and it was all going well until about half way round when Derek was a bit lost on the diagram and I couldn't quite remember where we'd gone on the convoy run, but we sortesd ourselves out and made it through about 25th quickest. Tests 2 & 3 were shorter and went a lot better.

Then it was Derek's turn - he was going well, being sensible and tidy, never having done anything like this before, he's more used to Trackdays recently but I managed not to get him lost and he was 38th quickest and the next 2 were done in a similar manner

Tests 4, 5 & 6 - These went a lot better, Derek was calling the route a lot better and I could remember most of them anyway, and my times were 5th=, 1st= and 4th=
    Derek's turn next, going quicker as well, 20s behind me on the longer Test but a lot closer on the shorter ones

The Skill Tests were going badly (but they have to be done to make the event) so we decided to concentrate on the tests

Tests 7, 8 & 9 - A bit trickier doing them in the other direction but we got through them without getting lost, Derek starting to get Fly going sideways a few times and using the brakes to their full potential

Final Results, I was 16th and Derek was 38th after a very enjoyable day. We hope to be out on the next one in April

Pics to follow when I've bought some - no in-car as it was at a MOD airfield
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

After the Gymkhana, I dropped Derek off and headed round the M25 and home, or that was the plan, it just turned out to take a lot longer than I expected

Going along the M25 in heavy traffic in the trusty Scorpio estate towing Fly, everything was going well until I felt a slight vibration coming from the back, so I pulled up on the hard shoulder and checked all the tyres were up. Couldn't find anything wrong so I carried on but decided to go into the next services to have a good look - it was only 10 miles away

So I drove on a bit more and the vibration got a bit worse but I carried on as the services was getting ever closer and I was only doing 60, I'd gone past the 100m board for the junction when all of a sudden the rear of the Scorpio shot sideways, luckily towards the hard shoulder so I pulled up very quickly and got out to have a look, and this is what I found

It was dark and I was on the hard shoulder so didn't look too hard and assumed the rear wheel bearing had collapsed, so I phoned the AA and eventually a recovery truck arrived and took me to the services. As this was a non-AA truck they couldn't take me home so I was offloaded and sat in the services waiting for the next truck to arrive. Getting slightly bored and with better lighting I decided to have a look at what had happened and it looked a bit odd as the disc and caliper were in the right place, it was just the wheel that was stuck at a funny angle. I still couldn't figure out what had happened until I took the wheel centre off and found this

3 broken studs and the 4th nut just hanging on, I don't want to think about what might have happened if it had come off completely

Then I realised what had caused it - I'd had 4 new tyres fitted by a well known tyre place the previous Thursday and 300 miles later the wheel nearly falls off - I won't say which tyre place it was but I'm amazed by what they did

After a few more AA trucks I eventually arrived home at 4am on Monday

After a few hours sleep I got up and went to work in Fly (the van had failed its MOT on a couple of patches of welding and I hadn't had time to fix it)

Tuesday I took the pics you see above and armed with 3 wheel nuts with half a stud in each, a receipt for the tyres and a set of the pics I went back to the tyre place to sort them out

When I put the first nut on the counter, the manager was amazed and said he'd never seen that before in all his years of fitting tyres, so when I added the 2nd and 3rd nuts, the pics and the receipt he knew he was in trouble. He checked with the 's out in the tyre bay who swore blind they always use a torque wrench but it was pretty obvious what had happened (I check the torque of the other wheels, all done up to 110lb ft instead of 65lb ft, the first vibration must have been when the first one snapped, then this put extra pressure on the others so the vibration got worse when the next one snapped, etc)

Still not admitting liability, the manager phoned up the local Ford dealer who had 3 studs and nuts in stock so one of the lads was despatched to get these. That night I fitted them so the Scoprio was drivable and Thursday took it back to the tyre place who changed the other 13 studs and nuts - they said this wasn't necessary but I insisted on it. I think it cost them £120 in parts alone and I saw all the old ones so I know they did every single one

Don't think I'll be going there when I need some more tyres
    GavinR

My Race Car
    Thanks

Good for you doing that Gav, sometimes people don't do that often enough!! Glad it didn't end in a more dangerous way too!

Racer Decade Plus User mexicotait's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

bloddy hell thats lucky i just had two tyres fitted to mine
    just been out and checked them glad your ok and fly is back flying
    Hexham and District Motorclub

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

A couple of pics from Woodbridge in Feb

Myself on about the only narrow bit there was

Derek enjoying one of the sections through the buddleia bushes

We're out this weekend doing another Gymkhana
    GavinR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinR View Post

Looks like you need an out board motor there Gav

Thanks

jesus christ i cant believe that how tight must they have done them up cant believe that
    just glad it wasnt any worse for you!
    do ya like dags

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Honington Gymkhana Sunday 25th April 2010

After the last gymkhana I'd driven Fly a couple of times and was having some starter motor problems where it would not engage fully with the ring gear (similar to DVY) but I didn't have time to sort out a new ring gear so I dug out an old inertia starter, strapped a gel battery in the passenger footwell, a remote solenoid on the inner wing and we had 24v starting

I travelled up on Sat and stayed with Derek and we arrived early Sunday at Honington Airfield, passed scrutineering and had plenty of time to study the test diagrams before the start. There were 3 tests laid out, 2 on the main airfield and 1 in the bomb dump, all nice and flowing and some skill tests in between.

The first test went well, Derek having no trouble calling the cones, Fly was going well with Yoko's on the front and barely legal Toyo 888's on the back. Then it was the first skill test, a figure of 8 on a skid pan specially watered for us, but with more grip on the back than the front I just understeered all the way round Test 2 and 3 went without incident and then it was Derek's turn. He found it a lot easier than Woodbridge mainly because it was nice and dry and set times about 10% behind me. After this first loop, I was surprised to be lying 2nd and Derek was in 28th (out of 60)

Just before the 2nd loop we had a heavy shower and the tests were run in reverse, but I managed to set very similar times to the first run and Derek wasn't far behind on a quickly drying airfield. Trying too hard at the end of Test 6 I was aiming for a nice racing line through 2 cones near the end, only to understeer straight into the outside one The skid pan was a lot more interesting this time, sideways everywhere - the highlight was watching Ian Mepham in a BMW 325 with a welded diff spin it 3 times A quick look at the times showed I was leading by 11s but unfortunately during lunch they added the cone penalties and I'd hit one on every test (10s a cone) so this dropped me to 7th. Derek had caught up to 15th with no cones to add

3rd Loop - A slightly different Skill Test this time where the drivers side of the windscreen was covered so the navigator had to guide you round a slalom of 3 cones and back in a fixed time of 20s with penalties for being early and late. I managed to loosen my belts enough to see ok but came into the finish a bit too fast and was 1s early. Derek however had a more sensible run spot on the 20s. Out on the Tests the layout in the bomb dump had changed slightly and the 2 airfield tests were joined together to make a longer one with a few more changes. No mistakes this time and by the end of these I was back up to 2nd (5s behind 1st) with Derek 14th

Last loop - Another Skill Test, this time the same slalom course and time of 20s but the navigator had to hold a plastic cup holidng 1/2 litre of water out the window and penalties were given for time and amount of water lost Derek was doing well holding the water until rounding the bottom cone the wind blew most of it into his face but I got the time right this time and only dropped 3 marks for water loss. Then with Derek driving I was ready for the wind and kept most of it in the cup but he was a couple of seconds slow ending with the same penalties. Out on the Tests we did the 2 airfield ones first and then a final blast round the bomb dump. I was being careful not to hit any cones but still trying to go fast, near the end of the bomb dump I cut a cone a bit too tight trying to keep away from the outside cone and ran over the base of it. Derek had another clean run through

When the results came out and all the cones were included, it was very close with the top 6 covered by 6s and I finished 4th and 2nd in Class while Derek was 14th and 3rd in Class so we both got 2 pots

So another fun day, thanks to Chelmsford Motor Club for organising the event and Derek for navigating very well

Pictures to follow
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

I've been busy with DVY all summer so Fly's just been sat at the back of the shed, but I've entered the Breidden Road rally in a couple of weeks so today I went to a grass autotest run by Cirencester Car Club for a play

Last night after returning from Rallyday with DVY, I swapped the petrol tank into Fly, charged both batteries and she started first time, so I had a brief trip up the road to check everything was working, apart from the 2nd fuel pump and dip beam, it was, but this morning I went to start her and she wouldn't turn over - the 2nd battery for the 24v had lost it's charge Running a bit late I just boost started and stuck a 3rd battery in the boot to be fitted when I got there

Dan Stone (stone4dr) was doing the autotest as well in his Escort (and had sorted out all the arrangements to do the event ) so I met him just outside Tetbury and we headed off to find the field. There were 11 of us competing, including Dan's brother Jason and his friend Mike, all driving the 4 door! The organiser (Mark) was driving a Nova along with a young lady who I assumed was his daughter, there were 3 chaps driving a Scimitar SS1 and 2 Astras as well

There were 2 tests laid out in the field, with 2 different routes for each and we did them 4 times, the fastest 2 to count for the results. There was plenty of grass so not much grip and it was just a question of not trying too hard, Mike got the hang of this very well but Dan and Jason had a few spins, neither of them being used to rear wheel drive

It was difficult to tell how we were doing as none of us knew what times we did (the organisers just wrote them down on a sheet as you did each test) and apart from my very first run at Test 1 when I was told I was the quickest so far, we had to wait for the results to find out

When they came out, Dan was last on 349s, Jason was 9th I think, Mike was a very good 3rd on 315s, 9 seconds behind the organiser Mark on 306s and I was surprised to be 1st on 295s
    GavinR

Thanks

My 1st Project
    Thanks

how did you get on last night at breidden? you out on sarn helen rally?

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Breidden Road Rally 2nd-3rd October

I'd never done this one before, and neither had Cath, but WBCC always put on a good event

Seeded in the middle of the Experts at Car 49, I was just hoping to get round without any trouble, we got everything plotted in plenty of time and headed out to the first Regularity, a 2 mile 4 minute section over 4 hump back bridges, all cautioned!
    A bit of rain before the start meant everything was very slippery and my Yokohama 539's did not have much grip at all (should have bought some 21's ) so I started off very cautiously and we dropped 3m 52s on this section (the top crew dropped 1m 21s)

After that we got quicker throughout the night, I remembered how to drive in the dark and got used to the lack of grip, we had a few big moments braking into corners that turned out to be tighter than expected but got away with them all, found all the slots apart from one farmyard where I couldn't see the gap between the buildings for a while, so it was an enjoyable night

Cath did a good job on the maps but was feeling a bit strange by the end, a combination of the engine leaking oil, the noisy gearbox (also leaking oil) and exhaust fumes not helping so by the finish I had a list of jobs to do before the next outing!

Overall we dropped 36m 44s and finished 31st and 14th in Class, the winners Phil Turner / Wyn Roberts dropped 12m 59s in their hired Mk2 Escort

Not sure when the next Road Rally will be, but I haven't any more planned for this year
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

I'm a bit out of date with this, but after the Breidden I did Course Car on the Exmoor Endurance Night Route, another Gymkhana at Woodbridge (3rd Overall which was good enough for 2nd in the CMC Gymkhana Championship ), 2 Cirencester Car Club Autotests (1st on one and 3rd on the other) and last Friday a Cirencester Car Club 12 Car which was a great laugh

I haven't made any changes to Fly over the winter, just tried to tidy up the front end a bit and replace the paint that's flaked off the front panel, and she passed the MOT this week without any problems

I'm out on the Bro Caron next weekend with Cath, hopefully it won't snow this year and I'll get a finish
    We're seeded 41 in the middle of the Experts
    GavinR

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Hi,

20 years ago today I became the proud owner of FLY

Hopefully we'll still be rallying in another 20 years
    GavinR

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

happy anniversary

Thanks

Hi Gavin just received your entry for the Nightmare rally I knew the reg was familiar from somewhere then it came to me! See you soon!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Post Re: GavinRs Mk2 Rally Car FLY

Bro Caron Feb 2011

After not getting very far in the snow last year I was hoping for a better run this year...

Cath was on the maps, and Carrie & Guy were marshalling for us and had a good Passage Check at Busson's Yard

The first section around Parc-y-Rhos went well, finding all the slots and only dropping about 50s
    The next section arouind Cellan was going well until we wrong slotted and dropped about 2 min
    Then the route headed over just north of Ffarmers using an 'impossible hairpin' which we almost got round, stopped about 2inch from the bank, backed it out and carried on, then overshot a slot on a downhill muddy yellow, down another steep yellow, through a ford and into the control, dropping 1m18s
    Then we headed over the mountain road towards Llandewi Brefi - there'd been a lot of logging going on so the road was more like a forest track in places but it was easily cleanable, then we headed to Llanfair Clydogau and across to Olmarch

All of a sudden there was a loud squealing from the engine and the alternator light was on
    We made it to the next PC 'K' and pulled over to have a look and I could see cracks around the front of the alternator, so we loosened the fan belt and headed slowly back to the trailer

Had a look this afternoon

Have to go back next year and see if I can get a finish, the sections we did were great fun, the marshals were good, loads of spectators and brilliant lanes

Many thanks to Cath, Carrie & Guy, and all the organisers at Lampeter & DMC
    GavinR

My 1st Project
    Thanks

hope you have better luck next time, i managed 37o/a at petrol then 20 minutes from finish the wheel came off , snapped 4 studs so night over, that road to llanddewi was terrible, instead of laying down tarmac they have been laying gravel!!! my brother said FLY was the fastest and most sideways on the hairpin right before the ford whens your next event

+ Reply to Thread