User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capri 2.8 lsd how to tighten it up a bit?

Bodger

Thanks

Capri 2.8 lsd how to tighten it up a bit?

Just building my axle back up. It is a standard Capri lsd, it's high mileage but all looks ok. It has a thick and thin clutch, how do I go about tightening it up to about 50%, is it just a case of replacing the thin washer with another thicker one? If so where can I get a thicker one? What should the plates measure in thickness? I had the axle off a 300,000 mile Capri so expect them to be a bit worn!

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

300,000? In a Capri ? 😜

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Capri 2.8 lsd how to tighten it up a bit?

Yes had done over 300k still on original engine and axle, the shell was dangerously rotten tho, hadnt long been off the road too when broke for parts.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

i,ve done this a few times,the best way to do it is buy a new zf clutch pack.their fairly expensive but come with 2 friction plates either side as opposed to the std one friction plate,if you want to take this further you can weld up the std ramps and have them remachined with more agressive ramp angles.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks for reply I will buy a new clutch pack if needed, only wanted tighten it up a bit as its a road car and sure I read on here somewhere that u can replace the thin washer with a thick one to tighten it up a bit?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

if its done 300,000 mile for sure it will want a whole new set of plates, plate number and condition is far more important than preload

Bodger

Thanks

Yes, just had it apart for a look and it needs new friction plates at least, the other plates measure 2mm and 1.6mm so may be able to re use these, maybe add 2 2mm ones in place of the 1.6mm ones which should tighten it up to approx 45%?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

save yourself a load of grief and just fit a complete new clutch pack and then fill up with castrol b373 lsd oil.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Sponsor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lee2cossies View Post
    Yes, just had it apart for a look and it needs new friction plates at least, the other plates measure 2mm and 1.6mm so may be able to re use these, maybe add 2 2mm ones in place of the 1.6mm ones which should tighten it up to approx 45%?
    Personally, I would replace the 2 worn frictions with new and leave it that for a road car. The standard S25-spec Capri LSD worked very well and wasn't really 'clunky' like many higher pre-load diffs which are aimed more at competition cars. However, if you were to replace the 2 intermediate 1.6mm plates with 2.0mm the extra 0.8mm would massively bump up your static pre-load should you really want to tighten the diff up....and if that is the route you take it's not desperately important to renew the frictions, as many of the 'cheaper' LSD's on the market have no friction coated plates inside at all, they're simply steel-on-steel and rely on static pressure more than friction.

Whatever you choose, if you're interested I have a stock of new genuine ZF friction and intermediate plates, as well as my own manufactured kits (4 friction plates, 4 intermediate, and 2 genuine ZF thrust washers)...and I have 100's of used intermediate plates if you need a couple of those.

Bodger

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply that's exactly the info I need. Think il replace the friction and put 2 2mm plates in then. I have sent u a pm regarding the plates.

Thanks

Anybody know a good diff atlas builder to set pre load backlash near Essex Romford area ish cheers

+ Reply to Thread