User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time Capsule Anglia Query

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question Time Capsule Anglia Query

Hey people, I've been trawling about the internet for some hours in search of the best forum for ClassicFords / Anglias and, fingers crossed, I think I've found it - so now I can quiz you all to pieces (in particular neilm and Dalek who seem to be full to overflowing with Anglia knowledge)

I have recently been asked to evaluate an Anglia Deluxe as to its worth as a potential project or alternatively to sell as someone else's project. At present I do not know a great deal about the car except that it has been preserved (I use the term loosely) very carefully by a man who put it in a garage in the 70's and died. It has been kept under a plastic sheet and as far as I can tell is structurally as good as perfect. The body also appears 100% solid, the chrome would require just a modest application of Brasso to restore it fully. Amazingly, the mileage is only 20k miles, and its former owner was quite meticulous, all those years ago. It contains the owners manuals and a half finished box of Fruit Pastilles

So what is a good course of action? Naturally I am not going to try and start it, but would it be a great effort to prep it for an attempt? Were the engines an interference design? (am not too sure which engine it has, but just know it's a Deluxe, chromed up wide mouth)

Alternatively, if it proved to be too much of a project what might be the value of this to another enthusiast? (hmm.. things are going a bit Antiques Roadshow)

I'll leave it there for now, interested to hear what you think. I'm thinking it would take a bit more time than I have to get running, and it would be ripe for a conversion since the body is truly A1, no messing around with rust/filler/welding/panels etc. Anyway, over to you lot!

Cheers,

Neil

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Re: Time Capsule Anglia Query

It sounds like the perfect find, and welcome to the site I would say maybe a weekends worth of work and you could take it for an MOT. Take all the brakes apart, clean and refit, check thoughly all brake lines and replace as needed, take out fuel tank and thoughly wash out, there may be some condensation rust in the tank but Frost Restoration Equipment do a tank sealer paint that some people have great success with. Drop the diff oil, gearbox oil and replace with fresh oil. As for the engine it may well be a pre-crossflow, and Neilm will be best to advise on this, but they are hardy engines so should run fine, but he will know how ro re-comission them best.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User Dalek's Avatar

Thanks

It's more than likly going to be a 997cc pre-crossflow that's in it. If it's got it's origional engine fitted that is.

No more than a couple of hours work max will get it started, the pre-corssflow/x-flow is an easy engine to get started even after a long layup.

Does the engone turn over by hand ? (put the car in neutral and turn the engine by the pulleys on the fron tof the engine. If it does then it's not seized. If it is seized then you could try putting diesel down the bores and leaving it for a while to see if you can free it off.

Anyhow i got to ask this, since i'm looking for a mint standard car to take to shows... Where is it ? How much is it going to be for sale for ? If it is ?

Send me a PM about this if you want

Pit Crew Decade Plus User Dalek's Avatar

Thanks

You have a PM m8...

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Agree with dalek my old xflow that came with my mk2 sat in a garage on a bench by the door for about 6 years just left as it came out the car. Put it in my mk1 with my electronic distributor and put the carb off my car on it and it fired up almost instantly.

So as said above you should be able to recomission it in a weekend or 2 if you take your time and enjoy it. And i would budget about £200 just for parts ie service, caliper repair kit, rear wheel cylinders, brake fluid, gear oil, etc. But obviously it could cost a lot less

Now go get it bought

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Good advice from Gary ! Especially the bit about the fuel tank, that can cause you problems days after you've got the thing running and everything seems fine and then you get intermittant cutting out and it turns out to be flakes of rust blocking the pickup pipe on the tank.

All I would add is if you are intending to use the car then replace the plugs, points, condensor, rotor arm, dizzy cap and coil.

Should cost you no more than about £40 for the bits and they are readily available from the like of Partco or other motorfactors.

Its probably worth changing the coolant, run it for a short while, drop it and replace just to help flush out the block and rad.

I'd also change the brake and clutch fluid, fairly easy, but can be a messy job.

Sounds an interesting find... Good Luck with it and if you get stuck post on here or on the 105Speed forum I am sure there will be someone nearby willing to help you

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Right well I ended up putting my topic on 105speed too, so now I'm quizzing you all in parallel! Thanks for the replies nonetheless, it's all quite encouraging stuff I have to say, and the suggestions all sound very feasible! As a result I would like to get together a rough idea how much it would cost to get it back on the road. My growing list of parts I'll need is currently: (I have put some queries on some)

Definitely need:
    4 x Tyres - 175/13/70?
    1 x Engine oil - quantity/type?
    1 x Oil Filter
    1 x Gearbox oil - quantity/type?
    1 x Brake/Clutch fluid - DOT4 OK? 1.5l ish?
    4 x Spark Plugs - What type?
    1 x Battery
    1 x Fuel Filter
    1 x Diff Oil - 75-90 OK? Quantity?
    ? x Belts
    1 x Coolant - Quantity?

Maybe need:
    Brake cylinders
    Air Filter
    Bulbs
    Brake Pads/Drums
    Rubber Items
    Points, Condensor, Rotor arm, Dizzy and Coil

What do you think? If there are any omissions/mistakes let me know. I'd also like to get an idea of what+where perishable items might be, i.e. rubber components. I expect the brake hoses will need replacing, but are there any rubber bushes I should perhaps think of doing?

So when my parts list is complete my next question is: where the heck can I get it all?! I don't know if this will be normal AllParts fodder, is there a good parts source to go to? (I'm near London if it makes any difference) And are spares generally cheap, like Fiesta/Mini cheap, or is there a premium for these low volume spares?

there may be some condensation rust in the tank but Frost Restoration Equipment do a tank sealer paint that some people have great success with
    Is this paint used externally on the tank where it is leaking? Curious how this works.

Of course the big BUT is that if I can't get the engine turning by hand then, like the motor, the project is a bit of a non starter for me. I should be able to have another look in a week or two, so fingers crossed.

Lastly, thanks again for your contributions, I wasn't sure I'd consider doing anything with it before!

Neil

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Neil from 105 speed, Dalek, luds etc can answer all of those, as for the tank sealer, take the tank out, remove sender, and flush through, dry it out fully, blank all holes first cept the filler, then tie a bag over the filler neck once the sealer has been poured inside. then spin the tank slowly around , you want to cover all internal surfaces. The kit comes with full instructions.

If you have access to a cement mixer you can tie the tank to the front, put some pea shingle in with some water, and turn it on, leave for 1/2 an hour and you should have no loose/flaky rust inside, then use the sealer as normal after flushing and drying throughly

+ Reply to Thread