User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20xe

FarFar south, any more and my feet are wet, sunny sussex
    Thanks

20xe

Im sorry, silly question time again.......
    20XE vauxhall engine, im having issues with Webbers leaking fuel, today, looking from the front, I noticed the carbs lean downwards to the inner wing so I took the cover off the carb and checked with a level, and, as I had guessed they do, as does the cam cover, are there any issues with running the engine upright so If I correct the lean and set the top of the head at 0 degs, it wont cause an oiling issue, I run a Opel Manta alloy sump, I keep seeing 7degrees mentioned?

Racer Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Re: 20xe

Quote Originally Posted by v8ian View Post
    Im sorry, silly question time again.......
    20XE vauxhall engine, im having issues with Webbers leaking fuel, today, looking from the front, I noticed the carbs lean downwards to the inner wing so I took the cover off the carb and checked with a level, and, as I had guessed they do, as does the cam cover, are there any issues with running the engine upright so If I correct the lean and set the top of the head at 0 degs, it wont cause an oiling issue, I run a Opel Manta alloy sump, I keep seeing 7degrees mentioned?
    Not sure about the carbs but I'm pretty sure there are 7-degree engine mounts to go with a 7-degree bell housing for an XE. So as you look into the engine bay it would have a 7-degree tilt to one side or the other. I can't remember which side it tilts to though. Not sure how much it would affect oil pick qualities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rallyrob For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 2,253 Posts

tilt is with the exhaust side low. It sounds like you have a 7 degree manifold with a zero degree mounting of the engine. i cant be 100% as i havnt seen a 1800 manta for 30 years, but im pretty certain the manta sump was also 7 degree angle, so changing to 7 should work fine with the carbs and sump

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Don't overlook the issue that if you cant the engine over to correct the carbs you'll have to do the bellhousing change as well of suffer the gearlever being canted over from vertical.

+ Reply to Thread