Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 2,253 Posts

Re: Fresh build pinto hard to turn by hand

Quote Originally Posted by Theyellowmex View Post
    There was movement when i fitted flywheel and clutch in january the sump is a premier motorsports developements big wing with modified pick up
    did you fit the clutch and flywheel before or after the sump? if it were sump/pickup i would expect the engine to move in at least one direction

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

If the crank was turning in January then I doubt it should have seized up since then unless it was a casualty of the February floods. You need to retrace your steps and then the problem should be found.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    did you fit the clutch and flywheel before or after the sump? if it were sump/pickup i would expect the engine to move in at least one direction
    Fitted flywheel clutch begining of jan then waited for sump and fitted that mid march

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    If the crank was turning in January then I doubt it should have seized up since then unless it was a casualty of the February floods. You need to retrace your steps and then the problem should be found.
    No where neer floods etc kept in new wooden garage covered in dust sheet. Il drain oil whip sump off see whats occuring

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Did it have a sump on during storage? An 'open' crankcase in a wooden / any garage could have rusted bores in a couple of weeks - nasty scenario!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Did it have a sump on during storage? An 'open' crankcase in a wooden / any garage could have rusted bores in a couple of weeks - nasty scenario!
    Hi yes it had sump on in storage.was just a straight swap over

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Took sump off nothing catching its compleatly siezed wont budge either way!!!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

if you are absolutely sure the crank moved then i cant see it being anything other than rings stuck to the bores, most likely culprits are cylinders which had valves open. i think you are back to my earlier suggestion put some diesel down the plug holes and keep trying. if you try to strip it without freeing it first you are going to have to resort to using a hammer to free the pistons, this is a more gentle method.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

if you are absolutely sure the crank moved then i cant see it being anything other than rings stuck to the bores, most likely culprits are cylinders which had valves open. i think you are back to my earlier suggestion put some diesel down the plug holes and keep trying. if you try to strip it without freeing it first you are going to have to resort to using a hammer to free the pistons, this is a more gentle method.
    Il try what you say.how much do you pour down plug holes how long to leave? Incidently the cam pully and bottom pully are in correct position could it have jumped a tooth

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

When i fitted and tightened flywheel it did move inch or so before i chocked it.this would of turned engine opposte direction a little this is big valve head could it of put valve on piston etc.
    Last edited by Graham; 30-03-2020 at 19:06.

Thanks

For how long it's going to take I would be inclined to remove the cylinder head to see what condition the bores are like. With the head off you are also in a prime position to see if the cam rotates freely. You can then fill the bores with Diesel and wait or it to penetrate around the rings and hopefully get things moving. Don't forget to look for bore pitting if there's heavy corrosion present.

How long ago was this engine built by the Man in his sleep?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

When i fitted and tightened flywheel it did move inch or so before i chocked it.this would of turned engine opposte direction a little this is big valve head could it of put valve on piston etc.

it shouldn't of, and even if a valve did touch a piston ( unlikely) the engine would stil turn backwards.

sorry if you post now looks slightly different, i mistakenly edited it rather than relied!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

For how long it's going to take I would be inclined to remove the cylinder head to see what condition the bores are like. With the head off you are also in a prime position to see if the cam rotates freely. You can then fill the bores with Diesel and wait or it to penetrate around the rings and hopefully get things moving. Don't forget to look for bore pitting if there's heavy corrosion present.

How long ago was this engine built by the Man in his sleep?
    "Man in his sleep" lol.built mid december. honed.new rings.bearings etc crank polished.all usual stuf.im not mechanic so me taking head off etc is not option.iv been in touch with builder and he said would take look but cant till this lockdown is sorted.just trying to see if theres some thing i can try/do

Thanks

It's very unusual for an engine that was only built in December to have seized up on the bores unless a serious ammount of water has entered the cylinder.

Removing a Pinto head is really straight forward even for a novice proving you follow the correct advice given. You'll need either a Torx or splined key depending which are fitted for the head bolts and cam belt tensioner. Remove both inlet, exhaust manifolds and cam belt and there's not much more to do. If you suffer from back pain then get two of you to lift it off as they are quite heavy. The cam can remain in the situ when you take the head off.

Have you tried Diesel or Parrafin yet through the plug holes and where abouts are the pistons in the bores, are they to near TDC?

If you have to take it to your engine Guru and let him look it over he's not going to admit to anything that he could have done wrong even if he has and will probably present you with a large invoice at the end of it.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 31-03-2020 at 15:14.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

It's very unusual for an engine that was only built in December to have seized up on the bores unless a serious ammount of water has entered the cylinder.

Removing a Pinto head is really straight forward even for a novice proving you follow the correct advice given. You'll need either a Torx or splined key depending which are fitted for the head bolts and cam belt tensioner. Remove both inlet, exhaust manifolds and cam belt and there's not much more to do. If you suffer from back pain then get two of you to lift it off as they are quite heavy. The cam can remain in the situ when you take the head off.

Have you tried Diesel or Parrafin yet through the plug holes and where abouts are the pistons in the bores, are they to near TDC?

If you have to take it to your engine Guru and let him look it over he's not going to admit to anything that he could have done wrong even if he has and will probably present you with a large invoice at the end of it.
    Thanks for that it does seem quite simple.i will try the diesel down bores but like you say i cant see rings rusting in that short of time when kept in dry.im more on thinking cam timing out etc.spose really only way is do as you say and take head off to see whats going on

Thanks

Thanks for that it does seem quite simple.i will try the diesel down bores but like you say i cant see rings rusting in that short of time when kept in dry.im more on thinking cam timing out etc.spose really only way is do as you say and take head off to see whats going on
    What makes you think the cam timing would be out? I would expect if a valve was hitting a piston the crank would still turn backwards.

Thanks

See what you are saying but not convinced. I'll stick with the articulation away from straight through suspension movement. I guess its similar to headstock bearings on bikes - can be ball bearing or taper Timken type bearings but after years of use they all get a set- on notch in the straight ahead position - doesn't affect use but MOT peeps hate it! Still with the mileage mine will do, the needles will revert to iron oxide before they wear out LOL!
    I can’t post the relevant diagram but thought a live axle would have enough angle but a fixed diff would not but it seems that the prop does indeed need an angle or the individual bearings in the yoke do not rotate but just rock back and forth.
    That’s why the pigs head is offset on both a live axle and a fixed diff
    Katana google it and look at images
    Last edited by snapper1; 31-03-2020 at 23:18.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

What makes you think the cam timing would be out? I would expect if a valve was hitting a piston the crank would still turn backwards.
    Your right i thought if turned bacwards it would free itself from that scenareo.but according to the man in his sleep he thinks maybe when i tightened flywheel it moved backwards a bit and slipped a tooth lol
    Last edited by Theyellowmex; 01-04-2020 at 07:32.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Your right i thought if turned bacwards it would free itself from that scenareo.but according to the man in his sleep he thinks maybe when i tightened flywheel it moved backwards a bit and slipped a tooth lol
    i have no idea what cam you fitted, but if it were a slipped tooth i would of still expected it to turn in one direction or another. to me that sounds more like a get out of jail on his behalf.

i tell ya what, if you like when this lockdown shit is over you can bring it to me and i will look at it for FREE

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

i have no idea what cam you fitted, but if it were a slipped tooth i would of still expected it to turn in one direction or another. to me that sounds more like a get out of jail on his behalf.

i tell ya what, if you like when this lockdown shit is over you can bring it to me and i will look at it for FREE
    My thoughts entirely graham.its 285 cam on stage 3 big valve head. Some people are full of shite lol

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

My thoughts entirely graham.its 285 cam on stage 3 big valve head. Some people are full of shite lol
    you could probably get that cam 3 teeth out and it would still miss!

a few years ago one of my race pintos developed a starting fault, i think it was just fouled plugs initially, but they tried to tow start it, not a great idea with 12.5;1 CR and full race cam with over 0.500 lift, anyway it didnt start, they brought the car back up to me, i had it running in minutes after refitting the belt, the tow start had jumped the belt a tooth, but that engine still cleared.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Engine has gone into lockdown ...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Engine has gone into lockdown ...
    Pmsl

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

you could probably get that cam 3 teeth out and it would still miss!
    i recently had reason the check my standard pinto and it was 2 teeth out, it doesn't seem to have suffered any damage.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    i recently had reason the check my standard pinto and it was 2 teeth out, it doesn't seem to have suffered any damage.
    Pinto is a non-interference design so valves never overlap with pistons. I snapped a cam belt driving hard up a hill back in the day but no valve / piston clattering - new belt installed at the side of the road and good to go - and I did LOL!

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Pinto is a non-interference design so valves never overlap with pistons. I snapped a cam belt driving hard up a hill back in the day but no valve / piston clattering - new belt installed at the side of the road and good to go - and I did LOL!
    Only with std or moderate CR and cam.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Only with std or moderate CR and cam.
    The reply was to a post with a 'standard engine' quoted and as I said 'non interference design' You can obviously make it an interference engine but then its not standard! You can tell i'm bored can you!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Hi engine been standing for 4 days now with diesel down plug holes but its not budging.it feels locked solid going to need strip down to see the prob

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Hi engine been standing for 4 days now with diesel down plug holes but its not budging.it feels locked solid going to need strip down to see the prob
    it might sound silly, but you it might be worth checking havnt put a really long bolt in the clutch cover which has gone all the way through the flywheel and jammed it against the block?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

it might sound silly, but you it might be worth checking havnt put a really long bolt in the clutch cover which has gone all the way through the flywheel and jammed it against the block?
    No m8 just standard clutch cover bolts.cant see anything externaly which would jam

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

what you could do if you have the sump off, is undo the big end caps and try to tap the rod piston assemblies further up the bores

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Im going to take head off over weekend iv ordered some new torx head bolts and t55 socket.will i need new head gasket as this had new one fitted and engine has not run?
    Cheers

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

re using a compressed head gasket is a bad idea whether the engine has run or not

Racer Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

I don't think you'll get a better offer than that.

Did you really say that Graham.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 08-04-2020 at 06:43.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

re using a compressed head gasket is a bad idea whether the engine has run or not
    Yer i kinda gathered that lol il order gasket as well.
    Befor i take head off if i slackened belt and turned cam afraction to see if freed bottom end would then know if cam timings out.or am i just being thick.please all you mechanics dont shout at me im a mere decorator lol

Mechanic

Thanks

Yes you can do that to try and see what’s going on, probably for the best that the head comes off too find out the full picture as the crank should still move a bit with the timing is out
    Keep her lit

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Fresh build pinto hard to turn by hand

I would check the bottom end before removing the head. Sump off etc and do what others have advised etc. To lock an engine so tight I would suspect main bearings but investigation will show it.

Remove the timing belt as well when checking the bottom.

Save on bolts and gasket if you find the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you decide you need to remove the head I wouldn't bother about cam timing at this stage because unless one of the pistons are exactly stuck at TDC you struggle to know if it's out or not. It's also going to be difficult to order a new head gasket when you don't know which one is fitted.

It can't do any arm to remove the big end bolts and see if the pistons or the crank will move before you disturb the head. If the pistons are stuck in the bores then the head will definately have to be removed to inspect the bores and clean everything up.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Problem solved!!!! Thanks for all your imput guys the fault was
    One of the rockers was way to tight so stopping cam rotating and therefor the crank.loosened cam belt adjusted rocker refitted cambelt/ timing all good now turns freely with nice compression.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Theyellowmex For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Well done, nothing to drastic after all then.

+ Reply to Thread