User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring-rate for xflow Mexico?

Mechanic

Thanks

Spring-rate for xflow Mexico?

I'm getting some coilovers for my Mex and was wondering what spring rate may be a good starting point? They come with 200lb springs as standard - will that be too hard or soft? I'm only after something for fast-ish road, and I'm used to stock 40-years old springs so pretty much anything will be an improvement!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 2,252 Posts

Re: Spring-rate for xflow Mexico?

assuming your talking for the front, then 200lb is quite stiff for the front of a roadgoing x/flow powered car, the most common road springs we used to sell for x/flow was 145lb, and the most common for pintos was 175lb

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

id say 160 would be nice for you, i found 145 was was too soft in a coilover setup as they sag far more than a normal style spring. i run 180's in my mk2 with an xflow, and its firm, but not overly so. i use the car for many things mostly autotesting and targa rallies, so i need a bit of stiffness there, but its still totally fine for the road.
    in the end its really down to personal preference and what it will be used for.

to be honest, if i didnt need ride height adjust-ability, i wouldnt use coilovers on a road car. ive never found a set to ride as nice for a fast road car as 2.8 bilsteins with good springs. id really be considering this if i were you !

Mechanic

Thanks

Cheers gents. Going to try a 170lb first and see how I get on. Interesting point on the Bilsteins...

+ Reply to Thread