User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Probably another daft question.

Bodger

Thanks

Probably another daft question.

Im in the stage of converting my Weber carbed Cosworth N/A to throttle bodies.
    Im going to use an Omex 600 ECU.
    The question is when all the wiring and plumbing is done can I stick with the dissy set up for intial start-up.
    The reason is Im new at the EFi stuff and thought if I run fuel only via the ECU first if it doesnt run I will know its not an Ignition issue, therefore easier to fault find.
    Then when and if it runs I can connect the ignition side of things via the ECU.
    So...is this possible, is it a daft idea?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,479 Times in 2,253 Posts

Re: Probably another daft question.

you could, but if you dont get the crank trigger correct it wont run anyway so i see no point in trying to run it half and half

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

How many times do you read of engines with distributors not running / running badly, so its no guarantee. All the stuff required will be used for the fuel so ignition (as long as the wiring checks out) will work - worse case, just set the whole ign. map to 10 deg btdc as most engines will run & idle at that. My Ignition side was so reliable I was considering going the other way and fitting carbs to get the car driving as fuel mapping was problematical for me!

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    How many times do you read of engines with distributors not running / running badly, so its no guarantee. All the stuff required will be used for the fuel so ignition (as long as the wiring checks out) will work - worse case, just set the whole ign. map to 10 deg btdc as most engines will run & idle at that. My Ignition side was so reliable I was considering going the other way and fitting carbs to get the car driving as fuel mapping was problematical for me!

Ummm... thats interesting.
    Truth is, Im new to this EFI lark and experience has taught me over the years when doing mods dont cloud the water more than nessesary in one go.
    At the moment with carbs the engine is running fine. Thought it would be a way of stepping into the world of maps and tunning on a PC without getting too far infront of my abilities.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Consider doing it the other way around: change to a mapped ignition first. You can start with a very basic map and when the engine is running you can fine-tune it a bit and you know the crank trigger (timing) is working correct.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

It's not like you're the first person to do it.

Just install it fully, wire as per instructions etc, and it should be straightforward

Don't overthink things. If it doesn't start, you should have plenty of information available from the ecu as to why it is not happy etc
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

+ Reply to Thread