User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: A race bmw 316, m10, s14, m20, turbo, na, its been the lot!

Pole Position Decade Plus User david_white's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: A racing bmw 316, 240bhp Atmo M10

Hi Graham, we are out of milk and I have left you some beans on toast in the microwave.. Dont forget to feed the gerbil..

Sierra cosworth turbo race car
    QMN saloon car championship

RETRO Motorsport

Racer Decade Plus User angliaant's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stephen bahr View Post
    , stayed at school to collect GCSE certificate for my 2nd set of exams, not quite as good as the first, which i have to wait a few weeks for as i didn't go back to collect them.
    how did you do matey ?
    Wanted: Second Hand Tremec TKO 500, 600 or T56 Gearbox... Cash Waiting
    Any small welding, fabrication, engineering, paint or mechanical works undertaken, please PM for details.

It would seem my computer skills are not good enough !!

thanks Guys !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angliaant View Post
    how did you do matey ?
    A in biology, A in Chemistry, B in physics (taught by a scotsman, explains it all )

anyway, currently at lukes, so i'll see you tomorrow dad
    xx
    Cars, because you can't get enough kicks out of walking fast.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Well done Stephen, excellent results

RETRO Motorsport

5. The Following User Says Thank You to david_white For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No write up for silverstone?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

RETRO Motorsport

Pole Position Decade Plus User Pushrod King's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

You were there,why don't you do a write up

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

In the mean time while Graham does his write up heres a pic of his car that I think he'll like that I just found on my camera from Lydden

RETRO Motorsport

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

nice picture its good to think i actually had two engines on track that day they both behaved impecably

it goes without saying the cars werent in that order for long

i cant do a silverstone write up yet, i havnt done the pre silverstone write up prep!
    Last edited by Graham; 07-10-2009 at 17:59.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

actually i didnt do that much prior to the event

i looked at the now battered front bumper/spoiler which after my lydden grass tracking
    is totally missing its splitter and one corner

and decided not to do anything with it! its getting late in the year not many events left, and im short of time, plus it was an ideal chance to try the car without the splitter at a fast circuit as i certainly didnt notice any difference after loosing it at lydden.

other pre event mainanace, a quick brake pad check, i swapped the wheels around and turned some tyres around on the rims to extend ther life a bit longer,

a close look at the gearlinkage showed it was broken! its a rose jointed race linkage, but it has something of a design flaw, the stabliser part of the linkage which was broken in two places bolts both to the gearbox and solidly to the trans tunnel via a rose joint, effectively it acts as solid link preventing any fore and aft movement in the engine and box, they basically dont move anyway but i guess the strain of several seasons of thenm trying to move slightly took its toll and broke the linkage, which lost a lot of the precision out the gear lever, maybe that had a part to play in my lydden gear selection issues

unfortunatly repair of the broken bit wasnt possible, after lots of thought i deceided to bolt the stabaliser to the gearbox tunnel rather than the gearbox, my only worry being that if teh engine and box move further under laod than i though it might pull itself out of gear once on track

the only other thing i did was to act on an idea from jimbo and install a couple of computer fans to give me some demisting equipment, they actually blow a suprisng amount of air and consume only a tiny current

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

onto silverstone which for me like most others was effectively a new circuit, whilst i've raced on the silverstone national circuit when it converts to the gp only two "known" corners remain,

the GP circuit may be 3.2 miles long but with over 50 cars on track, qualifying was pretty manic, with everyone ending up bunched up, mainly because it seemed all the cars witrh big straightline speed wobbled very slowly round the bendy bits, i spent most of my qualifying session in the company of bill richards with his ultra quick 16v kad mini, having bill for company meant i know i would of had resaonable pace but knew ultimately i wasnt going to be really on the pace as such a long circuit means few laps.

ultimately i qualified a reasonable 30th out of 52 cars with a 2.21.1sec lap, some way off the rest of my class but not an impossible task to catch them,

back in the paddock we topped up the fuel and that was about it, incidentally i used 3 litres a lap!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

race one, i made a decent start and managed to pick off one or two, i spent a couple of laps in the company of a toyo shod tin top rover tomcat, the tomcat had the legs on me on the straight and held me off for a fair while, in the end my cars superior braking and corner speed won through, once past the tomcat i quickly pulled away and made up another place or two and was gaining on steve danns class B turbo golf and peter taylors class A RS500, the RS500 was suffering from missfiring as it cam up on boost but still had a very good turn of speed, my best chance of passing them was catching them under braking and using my non turbo instant grunt to go round them through the tight abbey complex and hopefully hold them off into luffield the closeness and tightness of that part of teh circuit being my only real chance , approaching abbey i cursed as i saw frantcially waved yellow flags, "sh*t" i couldnt attack them, then i saw the reason something i instantly recognised, it was the exhaust off dave whites sierra which was right on the apex, i dunno if i felt more hacked off it was effecting my race or bad for dave,

i just hoped it wouldnt still be there next lap, it was! and the one after and the one after that! i knew i was running out of laps now to get further up the field, the last time through neither the sierra or steve danns vw pulled away quite so much, the sierra still missing out the corners and steve by now apparently having a puncture having hit daves exhaust, i got close to then under braking into brooklands and alongside steve dann into luffield, and as we got into luffield2 was alongside pete taylors RS500 and just pulling head right at that point i came up to lap a back marker in a metro, with barely enough room i darted to its right pulling just ahead of peters RS500 and nailed the throttle and hung on as we headed to the start/finish line where i could see the chequer, i didnt make it to the chequer first though peter sierra stormed past just before the flag like a saturn5 rocket,

when the results came round i was amazed to see i had beaten peter, how? what peter and i both saw as the chequer was a duplicate chequer, the actuall finish line isnt the same as the start line its closer to the last corner and neither of us had seen the first flag,

my best lap had improved to 2.18.6 and had improved my 30th position start to finishing in 21st and one place behind my nearest class rival
    Last edited by Graham; 07-10-2009 at 20:33.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

race two, i made another good start and picked off few cars at the start and by going round the outside at becketts, some though being much faster class A cars would easily retake me on the hanger straight and stay ahead, although one car i kept behind was dave ushers m16 power peugoet 205, well for a while anyway, a lap or so later going down hanger straight i could see him absolutely reeling me in, he just breezed past, not to give up too easily though i braked very late into stowe corner and took the place back, same again a lap later i could hold him off the rest of the circuit but not down the straight, infact each time he passed me he did it earlier on the straight the last time early enough i couldnt attack in in the corners afterwards, half a lap later richard brent was on my tail having started from the back, he was on a real mission, catching me exiting luffield we had similar straightline speed i resisted moving over a bit to tighten my line into copse so he couldnt go up the inside he went the long way round, a very long way round nearly off the island, soon he was gone and past dave usher too. i eased my pace slightly realising i was running last in class and knew i had to make my tyres last two more meetings, half a lap later i was catching richard, clearly he was wounded, i started pushing again seeing the last lap board i pushed harder and started riding the kerbs which i had been deliberating staying away from, it was a slightly hollow victory repassing him, but a place is a place.

my final finishing position a creditable 15th overall out of a 48 car grid, best lap had improved to 2.17.3

back in the paddock i was saddened to hear that richard didnt actually finish the race, bad new for both of us, although i was pleasently suprised to see in the results i had beaten richards arch rival gareth porter who has a stunningly powerfull mi16 engined 205, how? apparently he had gone off in the first corner and was working his way back through the field, had richards car not slowed i wouldnt of speeded up and gareth would of probably caught me
    Last edited by Graham; 07-10-2009 at 20:44.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

the pm.

loosing the splitter made no differece! only once did the car understeer when i simily entered a corner way too hot, even then it wasnt terminal,

as i found in race two the rear damping was a bit too soft for the very high speed stowe corner, the backend was a bit bouncy,

the eligabilitity scruit pulled me in for a look at my car, and weighed it at the same time it was 879.5kgs on a very low fuel load so it weighs about what i thought it still did, whch is about 100kgs less than when its was turbo'd, but ultimately still too heavy for the class.

i've been thinking long and hard to try and wrk out why the car is more competetive at lydden then at the faster circuits which is the opposite of what everyone including myself expected, the answer has to be lydden plays into the cars strengths, its a very stop start circuit with a healthly hill, the car is very good on the brakes and has lots of grunt out the corners,

clearly the barn door areodynamics is hurting it, i was at peak power down hanger straight but 125mph seems to be about it in a straight line, because peak power is so wide i could of been pulling another 500rpm and still been at peak power, so i think i need to drop the diff ratio again, it wont give me any more power at the top end but i will have more torque at the wheels and accerate faster onto the straight

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graham bahr View Post
    i used 3 litres a lap!
    Ruddy 'ell. You sure thats right Graham?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
    Ruddy 'ell. You sure thats right Graham?
    sure is, i used 30 litres each time i went out, the final race i came back in on fumes, the levels so low in the tank its below the sight glass, so if you account for a warm up lap which was at 95% full race pace, and slowing down lap i covered 29miles for my 30 litres, obviously i used a bit warming it up in the assembly area etc etc.

several cars almost didnt make it to the end because of low fuel levels,

almost irrespectic of the circuit it seems to consume 1 litre a mile, lydden is better at about 075-0.8 per mile, but that place has no straights as such,

this is good fuel consumption the turbo used more than twice the amount of fuel!
    Last edited by Graham; 08-10-2009 at 09:42.

Thanks

this is good fuel consumption the turbo used more than twice the amount of fuel!
    race the passat, problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Pushrod King View Post
    You were there,why don't you do a write up
    so were you, what's your point? you do a write up, saw more of the car than i did, albeit the back of it.
    Last edited by stephen bahr; 08-10-2009 at 13:56.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Good grief!!

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I think my car was using nearer to 2 litres a lap, if not a touch less. bargain

RETRO Motorsport

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

so were you, what's your point? you do a write up, saw more of the car than i did, albeit the back of it.
    OUCH, thats harsh stephen, i dont suppose nick saw anything of my car i certainly didnt ever see nick on track

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david_white View Post
    I think my car was using nearer to 2 litres a lap, if not a touch less. bargain
    i guess thats the difference between 156lbft and 208lbft

My Race Car
    Thanks

what's your point?
    The point young man is that us adults don't always have time to sit at a computor typing race reports!

My Race Car
    Thanks

OUCH, thats harsh stephen,
    That's right Graham teach your boy some respect

i dont suppose nick saw anything of my car i certainly didnt ever see nick on track
    I did see it once or twice in race one (I was 6 or 7 places behind before it broke),but despite making up 16 places (From 46th to 28th)in race two the delay when starting at the back of the pack cost me too much time to have a chance of finishing any higher.

Thanks

only 200Kgs left to remove now
    we need more makes the car much faster

Thanks

ahhh edit button is gone, what happened there?
    yay for double IT
    is snet next weekend or this coming one?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

next weekend the 18th,

the edit button goes away after 10 mins, then you have to ask a mod nicely to edit your post, so ask nicely son!

Thanks

the edit button is never there in your thread father, only in dave's and even then the school blocked the "saving your edit" page
    how're you anyway?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

stop cluttering up my thread!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i think theres a strainge irony that im next out in a weeks time at snetterton which has the fastest straight of any uk circuit and i've taken the diff out to fit a LOWER ratio to it,

it part of on going development for next year really, its a intermarque race, no points at stake really, well none worth worrying about, im 2nd in class cant get beaten and cant get 1st, so its an ideal time to see if i can manage snets long straight on a low diff, if i can then no messing around changing ratios next year

unless of course i change the engine spec which shifts the power band down again

Last edited by Graham; 11-10-2009 at 11:14.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

also part of next years development im looking at alternators again, i will have to run one, ive never had nuch luck with them on ANY version of m10 engien they all seem to pack up, i guess thers a certain frequency of vibration the engine makes they dont like

a bespoke motorsport unit is expensive, it did occur to me i have a spare alternator for my bike which i already know had a built in reg

its driven straight of a gear incoroprated in a crank web, but im sure i could modify it to take a belt, so i took the pulley off and chucked up up in the lathe

bearing in mind it runs about 3 times crank speed in the bike, i was suprise to see at only 1200 rpm it was charging, but i actually tested it at 2000rpm

checking out the workshop manual for my bike i found its simple to wire, one wire straight to the battery another to an ignition live, no charge light function, but im not bothered about that

it doesnt put out a huge ampreage, after a couple of mins running it was only putting out 1A, so i started loading it up with headlamp bulbs one 55w bulb and we had

so i kept adding bulbs, by the time i got to 4 bulbs the ammeter was showing 20A, and the lathe noticably slowed when i connected them, moving the ammeter showed practically nothing was actually going into the battery, but the alternator was supplying all the juice the bulbs needed.

conclusions, lights off it takes about 20-22 amps to keep my engine and its two fuel pumps and electric water pump running, so this alternator will allow me to comply with 2010 regulations, it wont waste any power by putting out more charge than needed, im not sure without more testing whether it would be powerfull enough for a road car, but in my case its enough, it will even keep the battery topped up , which im not actually bothered about as its no hassle to charge it between races anyway.

the fact it will charge at low revs is a good thing as i want to power it off the diff output shafts which obviously turn quite slowly only 800rpm at 100mph, rather than the engine, why? because the diff wont vibrate as much as an engine, i dont like anything which might interfear with the dry sump pump belt and i dont want to reengineer the crank pulleys, appartfrom which is if have to add weight to the car i want to add it at the rear not the front
    Last edited by Graham; 11-10-2009 at 11:16.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i like the logic

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Will it not be better to run it off the prop like the audi's did in the 80's? With the irs the shafts are going to move up and down which will affect the belt unless you run it from the flanges on the diff (that is probably what you mean by output shaft thinking about it?!)?

Good idea though, no point complicating the engine when its all working perfectly and your adding an unknown into the equation!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i'd run it off diff flanges as they dont move,

in way it would be better to run it off the prop, then you dont have to worry abut the reduction ratio of the diff, but i cant get a drive off the diff/prop connection unless you hang the alternator under it making it lowest part of the car by a long way, not sure theres space to run it at gearbox end, cant really run if off the middle somwhere cos its a split prop

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Isn't there space under the rear seat part of the floor, I know i in my sierra there is loads of room

Would you turn down an origional pulley and bolt or weld it to the driveshaft/prop?

RETRO Motorsport

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't there space under the rear seat part of the floor, I know i in my sierra there is loads of room
    theres stacks of space there, but i dont fancy welding anything to the prop, and i doubt a flat non ribbed belt just running round the prop itself would ever grip the prop enough to do anything

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Could you not turn up a spacer that goes in between the prop and the diff flange and has the groove in to run the alternator belt? I have a pic of the audi one somewhere, its mounted inside the car above the diff tunnel

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

wish i could but the prop/diff flange sits inside a tunnel that passes through the rear x member,

so i shall just do similar between the diff flange and driveshaft, i figure as long as i have a 1:3 or higher ratio between the drive shaft flange speed and the alternator it will charge above pitlane / paddock speeds, to be honest im not really concerned as to how well it charges i just want to comply with the regulations!

we have proved ( by accident) on the rolling road you can run the battery down to the point where it wont start the engine and yet the mixture and power remains uneffected, obviously the volt drop correction map must be spot on
    Last edited by Graham; 11-10-2009 at 20:02.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

the pulley on the alternator is actually two pieces, it contains a cush drive just like a bikes rear sprocket assembly, so i threw one half away and turned down an alternator pulley to fit in its place

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

That looks good graham, wouldn't mind a bike alternator for mine and more so for Andys escort.

I do have quite a bit of room under my car and running the alternator under there would certainly make the engine bay tidier, especially as I'd like to go with an electric water pump like yours.
    Only trouble is I do have a habit of ripping things off of the bottom of the car so it depends if the rules state that you also need to finish the race with an alternator

RETRO Motorsport

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

its blue book regulations, the just say car must be fitted with a working generator

+ Reply to Thread