User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 200 bhp Zetec 4-2-1 header’s primary and secondary and exit tube sizes and lenghts ?

My Race Car
    Thanks

200 bhp Zetec 4-2-1 header’s primary and secondary and exit tube sizes and lenghts ?

As the title suggests, I am looking for the tube sizes and lengths of a typical 4-2-1 headers for up to 200 bhp n/a Zetec engine.

I am aware that there are few good suppliers of Zetec headers such as TLE, Simpson, Ashley, Retroford etc but these companies seemed not to quote the sizes in their manifolds on their websites. If I am not wrong, one of these company’s headers have 1,75” primaries which is approx. 44.5 mm OD, means probably 41 mm ID of the primaries. This mayyy be the manifold for 220 bhp + engine but probably not for the 150-200 bhp engine. It would be probably kill the torque if 1,75” primary headers used in a mild spec Zetec.

It seems that in today’s market, lots of manifolds has much larger primaries than needed and probably leaving lots of mid range torque on the table. But they certainly do look sexy. However, in the contrary longer primaries in 4-2-1 with the correct OD sizes probably working good.

I would be grateful if you could share your opinions as well as your mild tuned Zetec’s headers specs.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: 200 bhp Zetec 4-2-1 header’s primary and secondary and exit tube sizes and lengh

Check out Graham's Video's on the 'Dyno Dog' manifold test - yes its a Pinto but the science will be the same for most engines - quite surprising outcomes! I believe there is a lot to be gained with longer (than usual) primaries and shorter secondaries if torque and mid range is the goal whilst not totally killing the top end IMHO.

My Race Car
    Thanks

Re: 200 bhp Zetec 4-2-1 header’s primary and secondary and exit tube sizes and lengh

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Check out Graham's Video's on the 'Dyno Dog' manifold test - yes its a Pinto but the science will be the same for most engines - quite surprising outcomes! I believe there is a lot to be gained with longer (than usual) primaries and shorter secondaries if torque and mid range is the goal whilst not totally killing the top end IMHO.
    Hi Katana,
    Fully agree, long primaries will definitely be beneficial but having the correct IDs for primaries and secondaries also important.
    I have watched and read Graham’s experiences. Very helpful for sure.
    And btw I am quite surprised how come the most used Ashley rally spec 3 piece manifold does not have the long primaries.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1903 View Post
    And btw I am quite surprised how come the most used Ashley rally spec 3 piece manifold does not have the long primaries.
    Because it was never developed as such, they just made a big version of an existing manifold, the n/a yb version of that manifold is the same just different flanges.

part of the problem is everyone thinks bigger is better, some people will buy anything if they think its uprated/better
    Last edited by Graham; 17-01-2022 at 13:07.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    i cant share it yet, but the 4 into 1 manifold test was a real eye opener

My Race Car
    Thanks

Hi Graham,
    FULLY AGREE !!!
    In my opinion, many big names doesn’t get the tube IDs quite right. Including the BD series engines. However, larger than needed primary IDs combined with long primaries may be saving the design.
    Probably, they have their marketing strategy based on customer’s bigger is better point of view otherwise they really would know what is working better.
    Instead, they may better look into stepped primaries etc

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    i cant share it yet, but the 4 into 1 manifold test was a real eye opener
    Look forward to the article and the video. When is it going to be on-air and also published ?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Look forward to the article and the video. When is it going to be on-air and also published ?
    article should be in next issue of classic ford magazine. i can release video 3 months after mag is published.

My Race Car
    Thanks

article should be in next issue of classic ford magazine. i can release video 3 months after mag is published.
    Thank you very much Graham.

Was there a 3 pcs Ashley on the 200+ Bhp 2.2 RL31 engine ?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Was there a 3 pcs Ashley on the 200+ Bhp 2.2 RL31 engine ?
    no that had a small bore 105E 4 into 1 manifold and 2 inch system, although i think the 4 into 1 produced a dip in the middle of torque curve, which mirrors what ive seen on every single engine fitted with a 4 into 1

My Race Car
    Thanks

no that had a small bore 105E 4 into 1 manifold and 2 inch system, although i think the 4 into 1 produced a dip in the middle of torque curve, which mirrors what ive seen on every single engine fitted with a 4 into 1

+ Reply to Thread