User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapping oil filter housing for sensor

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Tapping oil filter housing for sensor

I need to drill & tap into my oil filter housing to fit a combined oil temperature/pressure sensor. There is already single port there, but I am using that for the turbo oil feed. I know I could just tee into the same port, but a separate port would make a neater installation.

The oil filter housing is a cast aluminium part with two internal chambers - one chamber is the oil inlet pathway to the oil filter, and the other is the outlet.

My question is, does it matter whether I drill into the inlet pathway or the outlet? Does it even make any difference?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Re: Tapping oil filter housing for sensor

it will make very little difference although i would drill into the output side as that's more representative of what the engine sees

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    it will make very little difference although i would drill into the output side as that's more representative of what the engine sees
    Thanks Graham! Unfortunately, I only have space on the inlet side to drill. Maybe I'd be better off to put the turbo oil feed on the inlet side of the oil filter housing and put the sensor on the outlet side?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Please don't - filtered oil is a turbo's lifeblood.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Good point! I do have an fine mesh prefilter in the AN4 line to the turbo. Would that do?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeRS View Post
    Good point! I do have an fine mesh prefilter in the AN4 line to the turbo. Would that do?
    IMO - No! Ask yourself could anything that you wouldn't want in your main engine bearings get through - if its a maybe then definitely not suitable.
    Turbo bearings are more hi speed, smaller tolerance and least resistant to any oil contamination! Personally I'd put the gauge on a tee after the filter -
    if the tip is in the oil flow, the temp reading should be accurate enough, pressure will apply wherever the sensor is placed.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    IMO - No! Ask yourself could anything that you wouldn't want in your main engine bearings get through - if its a maybe then definitely not suitable.
    Turbo bearings are more hi speed, smaller tolerance and least resistant to any oil contamination! Personally I'd put the gauge on a tee after the filter -
    if the tip is in the oil flow, the temp reading should be accurate enough, pressure will apply wherever the sensor is placed.
    You're right, probably not worth the risk. I'll stick with the tee I think. It just looks a little messy with all the fittings, but I can't compromise reliability. Thanks for your help.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    But do not place the sensor in such a manner as it will obstruct the oil flow. Some temp sensors can have quite large tips.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

+ Reply to Thread