Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

IDF pinto refresh and dyno test

or alternative tiles from 128bhp to 164

https://youtu.be/lBU7wAUlIDg

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: IDF pinto refresh and dyno test

That last graph is just sooooo smooth with really good numbers. But by god that is a lot of stand-off! I wonder if just adding some vertical tubes (like on some of the old Can-Am V8 race cars) would make a difference?
    I'm guessing an air box will hurt the power but improve the under bonnet fire risk situation significantly

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    That last graph is just sooooo smooth with really good numbers. But by god that is a lot of stand-off! I wonder if just adding some vertical tubes (like on some of the old Can-Am V8 race cars) would make a difference?
    I'm guessing an air box will hurt the power but improve the under bonnet fire risk situation significantly
    I'm really pleased with the power curves, although will admit all the graphs have got smoother, i finally figured out why they all tended to look jagged. That was the software itself automatically rescaling everything. i dont know if its a throwback to big V8's that its designed to be used on but it always rescales to give similar height peaks to the power and torque. I cant find a way to actually stop it, but if i manually rescale so bhp and torque are on the same scale not only do we get the lines crossing @ 5252, which most people want to see. what once looked like a mountain now looks like a minor bump which is actually what you see looking at numerical data.

when i first saw all that stand off i thought what the hell have i done wrong! but the numbers dont lie its well up on power, so i decided to ignore it for a bit and set about finishing the set up. its not that obvious in the video but as power went up with tuning the stand off did reduce. Infact it was only when i was putting the video together i realised the standoff was there in the pre rebuild dyno test. I think some ram pipes will do a lot to improve the stand off, only problem being you cant get much length inside the air box. im sure the air box will reduce power, its certainly going to alter jetting requirements.

I have never played with IDF'S before but i have seen jet setting for them that to me looked odd, ie compared to DCOE small mains and really big airs, but it seems IDF'S pull a lot of fuel through the pump jets under load, and the more revs the more air and the more fuel through the pumps.
    Last edited by Graham; 01-09-2022 at 05:59.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

good numbers tho, is the head well worked ? also i thought the vid was better as it wasnt as blunt as some of previous.

Bodger

Thanks

I should be putting my pinto on rollers next week. It has 44idfs, I went on track last friday to bed in the engine and to start trying to have a good AFR. It has a GP1 vulcan head, RL31 cam, but with 200 air and 180 fuel mains it still looked too lean.

Now it's on 180 airs and it seemed already better, so next week we will try to optimise it on the rollers.

The numbers on this fairly standard rebuild make me hope for a good result, even with 44 IDFs and small ram pipes.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    good numbers tho, is the head well worked ? also i thought the vid was better as it wasnt as blunt as some of previous.
    head has been reworked, nothing special, in fact i thought the short turn was very poor so i reworked it somewhat, but only the short turn, plus a bit of chamber work to remove the nasty steps caused by some fairly deep seat cutting.

on the videos everyone likes something different, a lot of people like the really short ones. it shows in the viewing data in total viewing time the long ones get more total watch time which is good, but people watch a much smaller percentage of them which is bad. short videos defiantly get a greater number of views, it makes sense, if i take a short tea break i might watch a 5 min video but not a 20 min one.

what probably makes the biggest difference is i dont set out to make videos. I work and where i can (and remember to do so ) i record stuff. i lost my assistant so am doing everything myself which makes things harder

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

well i thought this was a good effort and yes some are laborious and dragged out but too short doesnt get you fully onboard.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Great job Graham keep them coming����

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mariors2000 For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Back from rollers today, IDFs definitely suffer lack of airflow, also ram pipes that fit are too short.
    With the bonnet open it improved 6hp.

ended up with 180 air and 160 mains.

It was a hot day (36°C), and the guy definitely doesn't sell HP (he is not a public tuner, so he is not trying to sell anything). Still engine was fairly low on power, 156hp at 6.5k, while I was thinking to get close to 170.

Torque was really good, from 160nm at 3k to 196 at 5.4.

I didn't try to switch cam timing, so I'll be back to try that.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Today I received the latest CF magazine with the feature of this test. Amazed that the GP1 airfilter assembly (the pancake) lost just a few bhp. Are you sure that you fitted the lid of the filter during the test ??

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Today I received the latest CF magazine with the feature of this test. Amazed that the GP1 airfilter assembly (the pancake) lost just a few bhp. Are you sure that you fitted the lid of the filter during the test ??
    i certainly did, the lid actually made a bigger difference without ram pipes, but that was more to do with fuel standoff effecting the jetting. i also think it would of made a bigger difference if the engine had more power in the first place

+ Reply to Thread