User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing battery on a BMW (Graham?)

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Changing battery on a BMW (Graham?)

Yesterday I changed the battery on a 118d from 2007. According to helpfull garage I didn't need a expensive (AGM?) battery. But it was advisable to let the computer know (a reset of sorts) that a new battery was installed. Is that necessary? Garage had a KTS tool for that, but garage is here and car is in Belgium. Would a simple OBD2 reader do the job?
    Thanks, Leon.

Photo of a similar car:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Re: Changing battery on a BMW (Graham?)

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Yesterday I changed the battery on a 118d from 2007. According to helpfull garage I didn't need a expensive (AGM?) battery. But it was advisable to let the computer know (a reset of sorts) that a new battery was installed. Is that necessary? Garage had a KTS tool for that, but garage is here and car is in Belgium. Would a simple OBD2 reader do the job?
    Thanks, Leon.

Photo of a similar car:

In theory you should tell the car its got a new battery, in practise due to it having a current flow sensor in the negative lead the Car will work it out in time anyway.

if the car has stop start not fitting an AGM is a bad idea, it will work without, but may not stop start correctly, and battery life can be significantly shortened as charging voltages differ and the whole point of the AGM battery is to cope with the vast increase in starter use.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Car doesn't have start/stop, it didn't have an AGM battery and I didn't fit one. Car has nothing around the neg terminal but a current/voltage sensor thingy around the pos terminal. Garage said you have to tell computer that it has a new battery and it will "learn" in a couple of minutes the new battery. Without engine running. Will find a local garage that knows what to do and has the proper equipment. Apparently newer cars (not just BMW) will play dead if you change the battery without keeping 12V on the computer whilst changing it.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Car doesn't have start/stop, it didn't have an AGM battery and I didn't fit one. Car has nothing around the neg terminal but a current/voltage sensor thingy around the pos terminal. Garage said you have to tell computer that it has a new battery and it will "learn" in a couple of minutes the new battery. Without engine running. Will find a local garage that knows what to do and has the proper equipment.
    ok it it didnt have an AGM battery no point in fitting one.

Apparently newer cars (not just BMW) will play dead if you change the battery without keeping 12V on the computer whilst changing it.
    someone is talking Rubbish! we do far more nearly new cars than old. yeah the clock will be wrong, and you might have to relearn the window roll back function. for various reasons we are disconnecting batteries without an outside power source on a daily basis!

+ Reply to Thread