+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cylinder head for FR30 cam and 32/36 carb

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Cylinder head for FR30 cam and 32/36 carb

regarding the ebay head - doesnt look good value to me tbh for an unknown quantity ?

and the vulcan price seems tasty to regardless of their reputation. its not like we are talking race engine ............l
    Last edited by alladdin; 31-08-2023 at 20:18.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    regarding the ebay head - doesnt look good value to me tbh for an unknown quantity ?

and the vulcan price seems tasty to regardless of their reputation. its not like we are talking race engine ............l
    The prices for the Impulse ones don’t include unleaded seats fitted either. On hand ported heads a £1000 appears to buy you very little, I can’t find one that comes with flow figures.

My Race Car
    Thanks

By the way, has any one happened to have back to back flow test results for the modified Pinto head from the well known companies ? ( Vulcan, CTM, Ric Wood, Burton etc )

Bodger

Thanks

This is the dyno results from my pinto built by Vulcan. Maxiflow 3 head (carb head) FR30 cam CR 10.5 or 10.7 can't remember. The engine was dyno'd with split 45's on a Brooks manifold. Interestingly Steve said the drivability would probably be better with a 32/36.....so I'm on the look out for a good 32/36 with linkage to use for historic road rallying ...I have a manifold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY DYNO PLOT 1.jpg‎  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimKeogh For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1903 View Post
    By the way, has any one happened to have back to back flow test results for the modified Pinto head from the well known companies ? ( Vulcan, CTM, Ric Wood, Burton etc )
    i have some, i have flow tested burton cnc and used ric wood. burton heads are done by rick wood but ric tells me the machining program is different. the other thing i can tell you thats different is that the burton heads are built with burton supplied parts.

i have not flow tested ric's head, but if his numbers are correct then according to my flow bench the ric head is slightly better, BUT price wise the burton head is a bargin and has the airflow to support over 200bhp, rest of the engine allowing.

i will get back to cam testing soon, using a burton head. ive been upto my eyes in x/flow's and rover v8 lately

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimKeogh View Post
    This is the dyno results from my pinto built by Vulcan. Maxiflow 3 head (carb head) FR30 cam CR 10.5 or 10.7 can't remember. The engine was dyno'd with split 45's on a Brooks manifold. Interestingly Steve said the drivability would probably be better with a 32/36.....so I'm on the look out for a good 32/36 with linkage to use for historic road rallying ...I have a manifold
    interesting, i have run a 38dgas, lynx/single 45 dcoe and an IKE engineering split 45 set up on the dyno, the split set up was better than the dgas, but not by a lot. the lynx made most low down torque, but fell off a clip at higher rpm, coupled with an insane amount of fuel standoff
    Last edited by Graham; 15-10-2023 at 20:42.

Bodger

Thanks

And likewise...interesting to hear that....what cam/CR was that engine running

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimKeogh View Post
    And likewise...interesting to hear that....what cam/CR was that engine running
    blf40/41 from memory 11.2 CR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

My Race Car
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    i have some, i have flow tested burton cnc and used ric wood. burton heads are done by rick wood but ric tells me the machining program is different. the other thing i can tell you thats different is that the burton heads are built with burton supplied parts.

i have not flow tested ric's head, but if his numbers are correct then according to my flow bench the ric head is slightly better, BUT price wise the burton head is a bargin and has the airflow to support over 200bhp, rest of the engine allowing.

i will get back to cam testing soon, using a burton head. ive been upto my eyes in x/flow's and rover v8 lately
    Hi Graham,
    I have happened to have Vulcan, CTM, JEM and a Wilcox head in hand. And I have an access to a flow bench at Maxflow ( a succesful local cnc head company ) and I am planning to have these heads flow benched soon. Then we will have a good comparison study.
    Yes, Burton’s cnc head has their own valves. They are also 214n but they are not REC valves.
    If I understand correctly, your dyno is back to life and you may soon be testing some camshafts with the Burton head soon.

+ Reply to Thread