User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone recognize this pinto follower?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Anyone recognize this pinto follower?

I just bought a set of Kent Cams CF36 followers, they arrived in Kent Cams box but they don't look anything like the CF36 sets I've used in previous two engines I've built.
    Could this be a set from an older stock, or have I been screwed with? I just want to make sure I don't end up using some poor quality follower on an expensive engine.

The number seen on first picture is different on all the followers.

As a reference the CF36 sets that I'm familiar look like this

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Re: Anyone recognize this pinto follower?

They look like the followers that Burton sell:

https://www.burtonpower.com/camshaft...-ft1010ph.html

(where did you buy them?)
    Last edited by Miniliteman; 30-09-2023 at 17:29.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Actually they look similar to the ones on these cam kits
    https://www.burtonpower.com/kent-cam...b-kcfr30k.html
    Info labels them as CF36. Maybe one or the other is older / newer version, dunno which one. I'll measure lift / timing and compare the two followers. If these one give similar lift to the ones I used previously I think I will dare to use them.

I'm situated in Finland and I bought them from a local shop.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    They look like the followers that Burton sell:

https://www.burtonpower.com/camshaft...-ft1010ph.html

(where did you buy them?)
    picture wise those are not the followers burton currently sell. The followers burton currently sell under that part number are EXACTLY the same ones that Kent supply

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

There TRW brand American made I have used them before they give the same valve lift as burton cf36 cheers mario.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Cam followers are like socks, they are forever changing them as they no doubt buy from different suppliers. The best thing to do is dummy build the head on a couple of cylinders and take some measurements to see where you are on lift and overlap on the valves. On this forum I did a post of tests with 3 different camshafts and 3 different makes of followers all in different permutations and the results were staggeringly different on valve lift. Unfortunately I don’t know how to put a link on here to it.

I do have an engine with a BF63 cam and CF36 followers which are approximately 10 years old, however I don’t want to disturb the cam cover just to take a look. I do have another head completely built up with a GTS4 cam, I’ll take a look at those followers next time I am at the workshop, again they’ll be over 10 years of age.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    picture wise those are not the followers burton currently sell. The followers burton currently sell under that part number are EXACTLY the same ones that Kent supply
    in fact to add to that they are the followers that ultra parts sell, Burtons actually buy them from whoever supplies ultra parts. i dont know what burtons pay for them but i only pay £2.20 each, so burtons muct be paying very little, but i should add that i have fitted loads of them without an issue

Thanks

They look like a set of very old standard followers I had, I’m no expert but the surfaces done look machines (lobe contact face and valve tip)

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems like I should be able to sleep at night if I end up fitting these. Pinto valve length / cam base circle / follower model is definitely a long discussion when you really start going in to it. Few years ago I also compared several different followers that I had lying around and all gave slightly different lift / timing figures, worse being a long pad follower and the CF36 was the only one that gave close to advertised valve lift and overlap.

The old man also got interested about the subject and after doing some digging on the good ole internet, he found bunch of Ebay ads from USA that advertised these followers under several different American brands. All of these looked like NOS parts, so I would assume the followers I got sent were some old stock too. Actually kinda nice putting vintage parts inside the turbo pinto.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    Cam followers are like socks, they are forever changing them as they no doubt buy from different suppliers. The best thing to do is dummy build the head on a couple of cylinders and take some measurements to see where you are on lift and overlap on the valves. On this forum I did a post of tests with 3 different camshafts and 3 different makes of followers all in different permutations and the results were staggeringly different on valve lift. Unfortunately I don’t know how to put a link on here to it.
    http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1823737

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Timed the cam in today and compared the two lifters a little. Both followers gave almost identical lift figures. Small difference, but that might just be because I was more OCD with the valve lash with the unused NOS followers.
    Cam is Piper BP285, interestingly in 270, ex 272 degrees (advertised in270/ex290) and in 11.53mm, ex 11.11mm (advertised 11.81 both). Ex valves are just slightly longer which explains the difference in lift. For duration I would guess that advertised figure is theoretical and doesn't factor in valve lash.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PePeFIN View Post
    Timed the cam in today and compared the two lifters a little. Both followers gave almost identical lift figures. Small difference, but that might just be because I was more OCD with the valve lash with the unused NOS followers.
    Cam is Piper BP285, interestingly in 270, ex 272 degrees (advertised in270/ex290) and in 11.53mm, ex 11.11mm (advertised 11.81 both). Ex valves are just slightly longer which explains the difference in lift. For duration I would guess that advertised figure is theoretical and doesn't factor in valve lash.
    Are you sure the BP285 is the correct cam of choice for a Turbo engine?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    Are you sure the BP285 is the correct cam of choice for a Turbo engine?
    thats all depends on what sort of turbo response and power you are looking for.

admittidly not on a pinto, but i ran a 285 in my bmw m10 engine, it was a bit laggy if you let the revs drop right of, but i would say 350lbt, 320bhp @ 1.5 bar boost proved it worked quite well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    thats all depends on what sort of turbo response and power you are looking for.

admittidly not on a pinto, but i ran a 285 in my bmw m10 engine, it was a bit laggy if you let the revs drop right of, but i would say 350lbt, 320bhp @ 1.5 bar boost proved it worked quite well
    I was thinking it was possibly for a Road car, there no way you can run a Pinto Turbo on Rallies in the UK, Finland might have different rules, unless it’s for some other form of Motorsport.

We built a Pinto Turbo circa 1987 with 40DHLA’s like the Lotus Espirit had. Some engine builder suggested fitting something like an RL2 cam. The engine ran like a bag of shite until we fitted a std cam and after that it ran like a Swiss watch. My ideal cam would a SE 134 profile that has very little valve overlap and a decent amount of lift.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I've run several different turbo and cam combinations on a Pinto turbo and honestly there is no one right or wrong answer. The previous engine had a BF134 and a Ebay GT28, but I've also tried cams like BP300 and Newman PH4.5 and so on. The bigger cams also works just as well as long as you're not trying to mismatch it with a turbo that doesn't have a well flowing hot side on it. This one will feature +0,5 Cossie pistons, H-beams, 45 & 38 valves & BP285, 8.8:1 CR, Ebay T34.64 and E85 for fuel. Power will be 400-500 bhp. And yes it's a street car, but not a sensible one. The last time I had that same turbo on a Pinto I was using the PH4.5, terrible off cam area below 4k, but both the turbo and cam worked perfectly together between 4.5 - 7k so was well happy with it. I fancy something stupid fun and lopey again so ended but putting the BP285 in.

Mind you I have also tried mismatching combinations, GT28 and BP300 didn't work together at all. Turbo hotside didn't flow well enough se ended up just making loads of heat. BF134 + GT28 was an awesome combination for both snow and tarmac, but I got bored of it not wanting to rev past 6k so it's time for something less sensible now again. I also don't plan to do any snow drifting with this one, it's more of a hot rod for summer days.
    Last edited by PePeFIN; 02-10-2023 at 17:34.

Mechanic

Thanks

I went in to Newman cams on the a21 about 20 years ago and there was pallets addressed to Kentcams I think a lot of this sort of stuff comes from the same stable

+ Reply to Thread