User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideal Xflow Road Car Flywheel Weight

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Ideal Xflow Road Car Flywheel Weight

Hi Fellas

Thinking of getting my flywheel lightened while im rebuilding the engine in my mk2.

Question is for a road car how much should i get removed, the standard weight is about 12kg and im thinking of going to 8kg maybe?

Engine spec will be
    1600 fitted with 1300 +90 hepolite pistons
    Bcf2 cam
    Gt/stage 1 head
    Danst zx6r bike carbs

Hoping it to be around the 115bhp mark.

Cheers

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Re: Ideal Xflow Road Car Flywheel Weight

its all personal choice, there is no ideal, heavier drives nicer, lighter revs better but is easier to stall and wont idle as well. looking at the overal weight is actually a bit missleading, its only mass around the outside which has any real effect, 2 -3 kgs off the outer edge is probably plenty

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks Graham

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Ive been offered a flywheel cheap (£70) thats been shaved down to 6kg, do you think its worth going for?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

If it's cast probably not - if steel would be good for competition, I reckon?

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

From the Burton Power website:

Apart from being a handy place to fit a clutch and starter ring gear, the flywheel’s primary function is to smooth out the transmission of power from the crankshaft and for this you require mass (weight). The problem here is that this weight acts as a resistance to, as well as a store for, the energy produced by the engine. Lightening the flywheel will improve the engine’s response to throttle openings but not the actual power output. Unless the flywheel is abnormally heavy we do not recommend flywheel lightening for road stages of tune. The slight loss of low speed torque and flexibility resulting from the tuning modifications carried out, can be greatly exacerbated by a lightweight flywheel. However, for all serious tuning a lightweight flywheel is essential. Standard cast iron flywheels can be lightened but there is always a risk of them exploding if too much material is removed from critical areas. The rule here is not to be over-ambitious when machining weight from a standard flywheel - it isn’t worth the risk! The safe answer is to buy a steel flywheel which are available for most popular engine / clutch formats. The final point on flywheels is to make sure it is firmly secured to the crankshaft. Always fit new HT bolts and always double check that they have been torqued correctly. If engine speeds in excess of 7500rpm are anticipated then, wherever possible, the flywheel and crankshaft should also be double dowelled for extra security.

+ Reply to Thread