User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opinions on All Season tyres

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Opinions on All Season tyres

Anyone has experience with all-season tyres?
    According to several car-mag tests the latest all-season tyres are a good compromise between a summer tyre and a winter tyre.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Opinions on All Season tyres

dunno, never used them, here in the uk practically no one uses winter tyres so your unlikely to get much if anything of an answer

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Anyone has experience with all-season tyres?
    According to several car-mag tests the latest all-season tyres are a good compromise between a summer tyre and a winter tyre.
    Just check out Jon's Tyre Reviews on Youtube. His testing offers all, the info you'd ever need.

I've CC2's on my Dads golf, but never really had much extreme weather to put them to any sort of test. I'd have bought them for my daily too, but haven't got to the stage of needing 4 tyres at once yet.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    dunno, never used them, here in the uk practically no one uses winter tyres so your unlikely to get much if anything of an answer
    I've used winters before on my van, just cheapies. And the difference in those between normal road tyres, is pretty unbelievable. So actual, good ones would be even better.

First time I tried, I could only get two, so put them on the front for traction/braking.....what a wild drive that was !! Crazy oversteer everywhere, just no grip at all at the rear, relative to the front.
    So never fit such tyres to a single axle only, always all 4 corners.

eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5aMnmekA38
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i can comment on winter tyres which i used for a few years during winter on a 406 estate, they did give improved grip without doubt in snow to help me get back to near house. dont bother any more as we aint had snow for a few years.

Bodger

Thanks

I use winter tyres and have done for over twenty years, plenty of people say they are pointless in the UK due to the lack of snow but they are actually designed for cold wet weather and anything below about 7-9 deg C they are really much better.

Unfortunately I haven’t tried All Season Tyres but they are probably going to be in between winter & summer tyres.

For the summer weather it may depend how you drive. The winter tyres definitely don’t like the slight hotter weather.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

cant see any point if no snow - i have heaters for the cold i think any other "benefits " are just paper stats. i have never failed to get up the hills to my house during -10deg C or torrential rain on any cheap brand of summer tyre

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Yeah, I've had a set of all-season tyres on my car for a bit now. From what I've seen and my experience, they really do strike a decent balance between summer and winter tyres. Not perfect for extreme conditions, but if you're in a place where the weather doesn't swing too wildly, they're pretty solid. You won't get the ice grip of dedicated winter tyres or the absolute performance of summer ones, but for everyday driving, they're super convenient. Saves the hassle of swapping tyres twice a year too.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

All-season tires really hit that sweet spot between summer and winter tires. It's cool how they've been getting better, according to those car-mag tests. They seem like a smart pick if you don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping tires every season. If you're into classic or performance cars, a chat with streetside classics might give you some extra tips on the best all-season tires for your ride. They know their stuff when it comes to what works best on different types of cars.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Think a modern all-season tyre is a good choice if the yearly mileage is limited and you don't need to go out when there is alot of snow. These are increasingly popular over here. I bought a good set of wheels for the X1 for not alot as the tyres that were fitted were EOL. And put new summer tyres on those; wheels plus tyres cost almost the same as a new set of all-season tyres.

Thanks

my wife has all season on a small car, unusable on snow she said, comparing to old car and winter tyre.
    I think it's a good compromise and for my small van I use good all season tyres, mainly due to sometimes going to a country that if weather is bad (hivernal conditions), winter tyre are mandatory. all season are M+S tyres, so it works.
    Most of rental car in Luxemburg have all season tyres, no need to change at autum and back on summer tyres in april !

+ Reply to Thread