User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ECU Alternator Control

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

ECU Alternator Control

Hi guys. I am planning on running the OEM duratec alternator which is the 3 wire ECU controlled type. My Haltech ECU will control it.

My question is whether I should bother keeping the alternator ECU controlled?

From what I understand the ECU regulates the alternator's output such that the alternator only makes full output when it needs to e.g. After start up when cold to charge the battery or when other accessories are on. This reduces engine load when not necessary thus saving fuel. But for us more importantly less load = more bhp. Maybe it could be setup for nil output at WOT? However, would the power gain be so minuscule that it's not worth the extra complexities of setting up the ECU to regulate the alternator and risk overcharging if not set up properly? My electrician says he can retro fit a normal non-ECU regulator to the OEM alternator, so that is the other alternative or switching alternators completely which most guys on here seem to do.

Cheers.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Re: ECU Alternator Control

power loss from driving the alternator is directly linked to the amount of work it has to do, in theory switching an alternator off at WOT will save you some power, but in practise unless you have a battery which is in a low state of charge and or a considerable electrical load on savings are actually miniscule. even with a heavy load your only talking a couple of bhp.

id just let your electrician do his thing with the regulator

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread