My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Turbo Pinto advice please

easiest is use an accralite n/a pinto piston and machine 1mm off the crown

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

I would need some help with the calculations and measurements, I am too unexperienced in this to "design" a piston at the moment. So I was kind of hoping that I could jump on someones train :-)

Exporting inside the EU is not too much of a problem I think? If all else fails I could send something on to Australia...if it's easier to sell to Sweden.

Gustaf

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

theres not a lot of designing to do really, ford already did the hard work,

a std pinto piston give 9.2 cr and has a compression height of 41.65mm

a low comp was a ratio lower and had a 40.35mm compression height so 1.3mm less,

if you want a low comp piston to use with YB rods you need to loose another 1.5mm

Thanks

As above, just some basic dimensions for the most part.

diameter,compression height, pin diameter and length and that's largely it.

You could go into more detail about design, but just speak to the piston maker and let them worry about that.

After that it's just what sort of dish size if any. Chances of needing valve cutouts are slim.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Send your idea to DynoPerformance in Greece and he will work all out. Very good prices to. Any set of piston.

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

I run std yb rods and pistons in mine, it didn't take alot of skimming to get it to 8.2-1 compression.
    its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

Bodger

Thanks

I've heard a few other people say the same thing Caprimentle. I will get it looked at and fingers crossed, won't be much to it!

Bodger

Thanks

A few updates. The car is coming along very well. 28 spline borg warner LSD, Supra 5 speed box. Engine still to be assembled. I have all the parts minus the head which is about to be sent. I have a pinto block, standard yb rods and pistons and a 1600 pinto head to give me a rough CR of 9:1. I have a good cam kit to go in the head but I'm hesitant to spend the big dollars porting it and fitting the bigger valves. So what do you think of using the head as is with just the cam kit. More power could be chased later after it all tuned etc. And how much would I be down on power by using the standard 1600 head. Turbo is a Garrett T28BB. I'll be running about 18psi. Thanks

Bodger

Thanks

Click image for larger version Name:	tmp_32215-2016-07-23 00.54.0585900409.jpg Views:	140 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	79069

Thanks

I have restarted my brain on this and just as you said, it's not too hard.

A flat top piston with a compression height around 38,85 mm should give me around 8.2:1 on a standard bore. I see that Burton stock a 38 mm compression height flat top piston for the YB, but only in 92 mm.

That sounds like a really simple solution and would (according to my calculations) give around 8.8:1 with the increased bore. Still within my desired range but dare I bore a 205 block to 92 mm for boost?

Maybe it would be wiser to spec a smaller bore piston for boost...?

Gustaf

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Take contact with DynoPerformance in Greece. The piston will be cheaper and any size you want.

Can't see why people still putting so much energy in trying to find the correct piston if it is just one email away from you. I had several sets from Panos, none was standard and all exact as we wanted it. Price was always slower as any other piston I could find. Idem for the conrods.

Thanks

Do you have any contact details for DynoPerformance?

I can't seem to find a webpage or similar through Google.

Edit: Or maybe this is it? http://www.dpengineparts.com/

Regards

Gustaf
    Last edited by therealpinto; 28-07-2016 at 08:39.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

That's the one Gustaaf. It will be Panos who will answer your emails (if not closed for holidays). Ask any piston height. He already has a large data base Ford Pinto pistons.

DP stand for Dyno Performance.

My head of if you can find it cheaper, better and more easy. You deal direct with the company owner, he will not ask for you "customer number" next time as often in larger company's. "Or sorry, you probably have spoken my college, can you start al over again" !!!! Real nice person to deal with. Always responding emails, sometimes even late at night.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, I'll contact them with my thoughts and we'll see what we end up with :-)

Gustaf

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyd View Post
    Send your idea to DynoPerformance in Greece and he will work all out. Very good prices to. Any set of piston.
    I tried many times over explaining to him what I wanted but the communication broke down, the replies were erratic and made no sense. I think he was confused because I was wanting a YB piston with no dish to put in a turbo pinto motor. I kept being asked if it was 8V head or 16V head (pinto mate! It's 8V!), target power (when I said 400whp he was like O, that's low ) and what country I'm in.

The info I gave went something like this

"The piston I need is exactly the same a standard YB piston but with a flat top/ no dish"

This was not good enough and had to give the full run down

"I currently have a turbo pinto motor with 2.0L pinto block, standard YB rods and pistons and a 1.6L pinto (8V!) head. I have another engine I want to build but would like to use a 2.0L pinto head so the pistons need to be flat top to compensate for the larger combustion chambers in the 2.0L head etc etc"

Nope, still made no sense

There is a company here in Australia that can do custom pistons, yes they'll cost a few hundred more but it will be worth it.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OZMK1 View Post
    I tried many times over explaining to him what I wanted but the communication broke down, the replies were erratic and made no sense. I think he was confused because I was wanting a YB piston with no dish to put in a turbo pinto motor. I kept being asked if it was 8V head or 16V head (pinto mate! It's 8V!), target power (when I said 400whp he was like O, that's low ) and what country I'm in.

The info I gave went something like this

"The piston I need is exactly the same a standard YB piston but with a flat top/ no dish"

This was not good enough and had to give the full run down

"I currently have a turbo pinto motor with 2.0L pinto block, standard YB rods and pistons and a 1.6L pinto (8V!) head. I have another engine I want to build but would like to use a 2.0L pinto head so the pistons need to be flat top to compensate for the larger combustion chambers in the 2.0L head etc etc"

Nope, still made no sense

There is a company here in Australia that can do custom pistons, yes they'll cost a few hundred more but it will be worth it.
    Funny, we just use him because it's so easy to have any model piston made by him. No idea where the communication went wrong but he has build several different piston and rods set for me, never anything that was even close to standard and never had any issues like this.

If you ask for a Cosworth piston for an 8V Pinto with no dish, it's already difficult for me to understand. I would just order a turbo piston for a Pinto and tell him the piston hight, simple as this. What you are asking for has nothing to do with Cosworth pistons, sorry but there it all can be wrong. Please note, this guy is EXTREME busy, I also have a business to run and we don't have the time to figure out confusing information, very often with one or other website link to illustrate etc... Just keep simple and correct

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

But he wouldnt need a pinto piston if he is using YB rods, what he needs is a flat top YB piston.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks Duck I'm glad someone understands. It really is that simple

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

A flat top Cosworth piston for a Pinto is nothing more than a turbo Pinto piston if you order with the deck height you specify, simple as this. I know this guy very very well, he is very professional and very busy, always answer my emails correct even at Sunday evening. I'm very sure you have made a very difficult explanation of what you needed otherwise he would have understood better as you did. And no these kind of people don't have the time to dig into your mind and see what you really want.

Try to order a cross-drilled crankshaft but not cross drilled and you will not receive a replay form any supplier. You can also try to order an 8 counterweight crank with 4 of them left of !!!!

And last thing I want to see here is people are throwing mud to his name just because they where mis understood while the rest of the world is reading this bullshit. This is a VERY good company to deal with, he has been helping me out of shit for many times where other big company's did not wanted to help.
    Last edited by Dyno; 01-08-2019 at 13:49.

Bodger

Thanks

Understood. Yes his willingness to help is second to none, instant replies on FB messenger which is how the conversation snowballed. An email may be a better. My post is regrettable and the forum does not allow edits or deletes after 5 mins which is why it's still up there.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OZMK1 View Post
    Understood. Yes his willingness to help is second to none, instant replies on FB messenger which is how the conversation snowballed. An email may be a better. My post is regrettable and the forum does not allow edits or deletes after 5 mins which is why it's still up there.
    I don't know where or why your conversation with him stopped but he did replayed on a few hundred of emails I've ever send to him, even on Sunday evenings.

If I have to order a Pinto turbo piston with example 38mm deck height, it will take me 1 email, he will replay with a price and probably a quick drawing and that's all I have to do. So simple it is. Can not even understand you already had to send several FB messages for a simple piston order???

+ Reply to Thread